What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

route to airventure

flyguy61

I'm planning my first trip to Airventure and I was wondering if anyone has flown from Oregon to Oshkosh? Suggested route? Things to see along the way? Any other advice.
Thank you in advance.

Welcome to VAF

Ken, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

You might try contacting Vans, pretty sure they have made that particular trip a time or two;)

There are a number of airplanes that make the trip from Oregon every year. I believe this will be my 20th year flying to Oshkosh in my RV-4 or RV-10. We usually leave on Friday morning and try to arrive on Saturday before noon. With good weather you can easily do it in a day. Depending on the weather we either go the northern route, Portland to Helena Mt or the southern route Portland to Driggs Id as the first stop.

Driggs has a really good restaurant on the field.
We also really like spending the night in Rapid City, really nice downtown. It is not really that far from Oregon and makes for more flying on Saturday.
We also frequently spend the night in Aberdeen SD

Please email or give me a call with any questions.

Rob Hickman
[email protected]
(503) 263-0037 ext 2011
N402RH RV-10

Last edited:
what are you flying to osh in? where are you leaving from? have you done any long xc trips? camping? :)
welcome to
anniversary-logo.jpg

Last edited:
I'll will be flying my Cessna T182T, I'm leaving from Eugene, OR> have done a few Xcountries down as far as San Diego and back. Just got back into flying 2 years ago after a 25 year break. I'm IFR current. Don't plan to camp I found an AIRBNB walking distance to the field.

From Eugene

I'm based in KEUG and have made the trip twice. I agree with Rob H that Rapid City is a good first night stopover. We usually plan a Thursday departure, in the Boise gap to Burley (KBYI) or similar in Idaho then on to KRAP.

Second day we plan to arrive somewhere in Minnesota. Then early into KOSH on Saturday to arrive as the field opens.

A highlight is flying over Mt Rushmore on the leg into Rapid City.

I also am based out of Eugene. I had planned on Rapid city was thinking of a fuel stop to be Missoula but Driggs doesn't sound like a bad idea or even Burley.

Room at 3T3 (Boyceville, WI)

I have a hangar, can?t promise space there, but there might be room for transient aircraft at 3T3. We live 3 miles from the airport, and it?s probably about 1hr 15min flight from Oshkosh if you want to get to Oshkosh earlier in the day. There?s an apartment at the hangar, and bathrooms/showers at the hangar office building if you want to stay there, but the house is nicer if you want to tell flying stories and have a few drinks/camaraderie if you can put up with the 2 of us, the 2 cats, and the 2 dogs. We can provide housing on Monday and Tuesday of Oshkosh then we?ll be going there ourselves. We can provide shuttling to and from the Boyceville airport for anyone that wants to stay at the house.

First come, first serve, send a PM if you want to stay here.

Best regards,
Sam

Back