What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming tool rental program

Brantel

Well Known Member
So who rents Lycoming tools per the Lycoming tool rental program?

Anyone done this and if so, who did you contact?

Any lycoming dealer can get you the rental tools. I used Aviall the last time I rented a tool. Be warned that some tools have a hefty deposit fee. The last tool I rented required a $5,000 dollar deposit so they would get it back. Rental fee was like $30.

Contacted a few distributors and thanks but no thanks....

Lycoming must be smoking crack to think that someone like me would pay $6000 up front deposit and a $300 rental fee plus shipping both ways for $100 worth of tools.

No wonder so many A&P/IA mechanics have a box full of home made special tools!

Last edited:
You can probably buy our cylinder plates for less than the rental and return shipping. $39 each

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/3301.htm

3301-2T.jpg

Which tools are you looking for specifically Brian?

Mostly the wobble test fixture. I have shamelessly started copying others (Mike Bullock's) valve spring compressor.

I have already sent drawings to a local machine shop to make my own wobble test fixture.

Sorta amazed that there are no commercial products for a reasonable price out there for this wobble test fixture since all Lycomings should be having this test done on a timed basis. Aircraft Spruce sells one but it is way to high $ for what it is and it does not have the correct dimensions on where it measures the valve extension.

Me thinks a valve spring compressor? Shantel doesn't like the engine coughing???

No sir she does not. Thanks for blazing this trail and sharing your education!

Mike's DIY spring compressor is muy bueno! Thanks again, Mike!

Already in progress! Thanks Pete!

You can probably buy our cylinder plates for less than the rental and return shipping. $39 each

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/3301.htm

3301-2T.jpg

Thanks Vince, hopefully I don't get that deep into the engine but if I do, I will be calling you up!

I have already sent drawings to a local machine shop to make my own wobble test fixture.

I would be interested in one if you want to get a price for two. The more they make, the lower the set-up cost per piece and I bet several people would be interested at a reasonable price.

I would be interested in one if you want to get a price for two. The more they make, the lower the set-up cost per piece and I bet several people would be interested at a reasonable price.

I'm interested as well...

See the SB

Would you be willing to post your drawings? That would be appreciated!

If you don't use the Lycoming tool pressure plate and remove the valve springs, the dimensions for a DIY tool are given at the end of Lycoming's applicable Service Bullletin SB883C

http://www.lycoming.com/sites/defau...termine Exhaust Value and Guide Condition.pdf

This is what the Lycoming pressure plate looks like, as it is installed and the screws tightened it depresses the exhaust valve springs. The valve springs do not need to be removed.

Lycoming-tool.JPG

A cheap machinists guage clamped in the reference hole works much better than the screw and feeler guage method for getting the wobble number.

image_4565.jpg

Last edited:
Would you be willing to post your drawings? That would be appreciated!

Shoot me an email address and I will send you the 3D model I made of the tool referenced in the SB.

I used Solidworks to create it. I will also send PDF's of the detailed drawings that are easier to interpret than the drawings in the SB.

w1bspj.png

Last edited:
If you don't use the Lycoming tool pressure plate and remove the valve springs, the dimensions for a DIY tool are given at the end of Lycoming's applicable Service Bullletin SB883C

http://www.lycoming.com/sites/defau...termine Exhaust Value and Guide Condition.pdf

This is what the Lycoming pressure plate looks like, as it is installed and the screws tightened it depresses the exhaust valve springs. The valve springs do not need to be removed.

Lycoming-tool.JPG

A cheap machinists guage clamped in the reference hole works much better than the screw and feeler guage method for getting the wobble number.

image_4565.jpg

Thanks Gil,

If I owned one of those ridiculously overpriced tools, I would modify it to use the dial indicator per the directions in the SB.

Have you found that you get different readings when the springs are totally removed vs not?

I plan to use the other tool referenced in the SB and remove the springs.

If I owned one of those ridiculously overpriced tools, I would modify it to use the dial indicator per the directions in the SB.

$25 mag base dial indicator
Its no Brown and Sharpe or Starrett but it will do what you need it to do.

Wait, on re-reading the post I think your are referring to the Lycoming tool as the expensive tool. Excuse my buffoonery.

Last edited:
Back