Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-13-2017, 09:13 PM

Default Interesting....

www.purepowerm.com

This company seems serious about hybrid aircraft. But they also sell engines without the electric motor.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRviator View Post
Seems there is now a price on the Rotax 915's - $35,000USD - so delivery should be available soon if it isn't already. IMHO, this would be a top engine for the -9's, so if it isn't already on your list.....
Full takeoff power to 15,000' - while my IO360 hits 75% at around 8000' and makes the same horsepower. It would indeed by an excellent engine for the 9's, especially seeing as how I usually cruise in the mid-upper teens. The cooling will have to be carefully looked at, but it's interesting...
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:00 PM

Default Continental/Thielert

I know this is relatively old news, but the Continental diesels bear some attention. On a 172 they slightly underperform an O-360 up to 2000 ft.ASL , at which point the performance curves cross over, with the diesel maintaining full power to a much higher altitude. My son is currently setting up a shop which will, among other things, be a certified service centre for these engines, and he was very excited about them after attending their factory training in Mobile. They also have a much bigger, horizontally opposed 300 hp diesel coming out right away that would be an awesome power plant in a 10. Significantly lower fuel consumption than their avgas alternatives, of course. Worth a look!
O-360 A1A, Sensenich FP prop

Those who think any system is foolproof greatly underestimate the ingenuity of fools
Old 08-16-2017, 10:57 AM

I would suggest contacting Baker Engineering on the 120 hp 8" dual disk version of the Nutating Disk engine to see if anyone is ever going to produce it. They also have some interesting efforts on opposed diesels and rotary diesels. All being funded by our tax dollars, would be nice to see a production version of any of these technologies.

While not exactly in the editorial guidelines, it would be great to see Kitplanes do an article on the Edge Performance 912 Fuel Injection DIY kit. It would make an interesting comparison to the performancex of the new RV-12is.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS
Old 08-18-2017, 05:52 AM

Default Dynacam

Does anyone know what happened to the Dynacam engine..? I remember reading about it some years back but haven't seen anything for a while. It seemed promising.