What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Continental O/H Manual Table of Limits: L and T?

Canadian_JOY

Well Known Member
This question came to me today by email from a local EAA chapter member who is assessing the condition of his Continental O-300 engine. I noticed the same notations in the overhaul manual for small Conti's, too.
"I'm looking at my engine overhaul manual and on the page with the service limits there are the letters L and T beside the number. Does anyone know what these mean?:

The manual shows the following as an example for one limit:
NEW LIMITS SERVICE
MIN MAX LIMIT
.0015T .0005L -

So what DO the T and L letters mean?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide in answering this question.

Well that Loose and Tight was my guess, too so I'm glad to see I might not have been too far off the mark.. My guesses are often not very accurate, hence the reach out to all the great minds on this forum.

I have never seen limits with loose and tight modifiers. If it was truly Loose or Tight, they would have to also tell you what the desired clearance is (not a range) so that you can determine loose or tight from that benchmark/standard.

I have seen OD and ID dimensions with a Max, a Min and a service limit that usually falls further on the side where the wear is experienced. I have also seen clearance limits, which are specified in a range (e.g. .001 - .0045) and a service limit that is a bit further past one extreme on the wear side.

Larry

Thanks for the additional reference info, Carl. I looked for a glossary or similar in the Conti manual and didn't find one. This is very helpful indeed.

Back