What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bigger tires for rougher airports

380-150-15

For improving the soft-field capabilities of your RV-8, try 380/150-15 tires. They are about an inch bigger in diameter and about an inch wider than 500-5, but they fit on the standard 5" wheels.

With a little advance planning, they fit in the standard wheel pants. I mounted my wheel pants about a half-inch higher than the plans and instructions.This caused a minor interference with the brake caliper, which I remedied with a fiberglass blister fairing.

Of course the tire clearance cut-out in the wheel pants needs to be increased appropriately.

But the bigger 380/150-15 tires make a MARKED improvement in handling on soft surfaces. You can search for it here and see much other discussion on them.

600x6 wheels

I’ve fitted Grove 600x6 wheels on their 1 1/4 axle with Grove Brakes. Michelin Air tyres are 17.5” diameter and fit well I’m Sam James pants (600x6 pants from RV10)
Flyboy have a new tail wheel with a bigger inflatable tyre (Condor) that I’m also going to use.
I’ve scaled up the wheels pants on photoshop to reflect the appearance and it’s barely noticeable...in fact I think they look better! I have Goodyear 26” on my current plane though, so I’m used to bigger tyres.
Will need to see if he larger mass on the end of the Grove gear induces any flutter...

Agree with the benefits of the 380-150-15 tires. Put mine on last year and when my grass strip is soft I can taxi thru much easier.

If you want to avoid changing your wheels, brakes, and axles, then the 380/15's are a good middle ground. They are notably bigger than 500x5 but not as big as 600x6.

One caution, if your wheelpants were installed with tight tolerances, the 380/15's May rub inside the wheel pant at the top or back.

I was reasonable fortunate and had internal clearances for the 380/15 tyres. I did need to increase the bottom opening a bit with a grinder and sanding block for the tyres.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back