What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter Issue

istrumit

Well Known Member
Hello all

My starter suddenly decided to just not turn...zero...zip

I've check the battery and battery connections.

So, whats the next most likely ? The key switch ? The starter itself ?

I'm not sure how starters fail. In my automobile experience they have always exhibited bad behavior before finally failing.

In this case, I just get nothing...no sound...nodda.

Ideas on simplest things to check first ?

Thanks....

Does everything else light up like normal?
Your going to have to check voltage at the battery to start, if normal start looking for voltage to appear on the big lug on the starter when the starter is engaged. Watch out for the prop of course.
I would also try to rotate the starter drive gear a bit with a screw driver or similar and then try it again.
Tim Andres

What starter? I had the solenoid on a Skytec 149-12LS go bad with 175 hours. No click, nothing. I could jumper around the solenoid and run the motor. A trip to the auto parts store and $30 fixed the problem.

If you've got a quiet environment and can't even hear a "click" then that's a clue - the solenoid itself is not engaging. Start checking wiring for the solenoid, and go bypass the solenoid itself to confirm the starter is still good. Watch the prop arc!

No need to jump across anything and risk a moving prop. Use your voltmeter. Remove the starter main power lead so you dont accidently swing the prop. There are two ways Vans system can be wired from the Starter Relay (solenoid): One way ties the main starter lug to the on board starter solenoid (on starter), the other uses the aux. output of the Starter Relay to power the Starter Solenoid.
If you have power on both the main starter lead and the starters solenoid wire and are sure you have a good ground to the system, the problem is the Starter or on board starter solenoid.
If you don't have power on either when you hit the start switch, and you have verified power is at the Starter Relay "in" lug, your starter relay is bad.

Give the starter a nice TAP with pliers or wrench then try it. Probably has landed on a dead spot. Replace starter..been there done that with Skytec LW starter. Sent old one in to have rebuilt for spare then they called and said they don't rebuild them so I told them to use it for a small boat anchor.

First step is to confirm the integrity of the starter solenoid on the firewall. Then confirm the integrity of the solenoid on the starter, if it has one. These are the two most likely culprits for your reported symptoms.

Larry

What starter? I had the solenoid on a Skytec 149-12LS go bad with 175 hours. No click, nothing. I could jumper around the solenoid and run the motor. A trip to the auto parts store and $30 fixed the problem.
Hi,
What part did you change?
I have the same issue with my 149-12-LS starter .

Back