What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing gear fairings

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Thinking way ahead here but I'm interested to know if anyone created or purchased landing gear fairings for their 12. I mean the fairing that covers the landing gear itself - not the fairings that are installed at the top and the bottom of the landing gear. If so, did that make any kind of measurable speed improvement? Your thoughts please. Thanks.

I installed RV-8 leg fairings plus upper and lower transition fairings. Added at least 10 kts just sitting on the ground. ;)
In the air, I've never tested the difference, but I doubt that they would add much more than 2-3 knots at most at the speeds we fly. Still, it all helps.
Would be interesting to know if anyone has done some tests with and without.

Last edited:
rgmwa,
What numbers do you typically see in cruise with the fairings?
Thanks,

That's not so easy to answer reliably because it depends on so many factors like DA, prop pitch, rpm, weight, etc. I usually cruise between 5,200 and 5,300 rpm at around 2,500'-3,500' and typically see about 114-116 kts TAS. I'm passing Cessna's at that speed, burning less fuel and looking at a much nicer instrument panel, so I'm happy.
At 5,500 rpm TAS goes up to about 120-123kts. My full throttle test runs at about 1,000' showed 5650-5720 rpm and 127-128 kts straight and level. I don't think you could wring much more out of an RV-12.

Thinking way ahead here but I'm interested to know if anyone created or purchased landing gear fairings for their 12. I mean the fairing that covers the landing gear itself - not the fairings that are installed at the top and the bottom of the landing gear. If so, did that make any kind of measurable speed improvement? Your thoughts please. Thanks.

Not sure exactly which fairings you're referring to but I get about 5 - 6 kts by adding the standard LG fairings over the wheels. I added top & bottom intersection fairings and a leg fairing between the intersection fairings and that made no measurable improvement.

When I put them on mine, I would claim to those asking they added 12 knots at least, mostly to watch closely at their composure and expression.

I?m going on the opposite direction. I removed my wheel pants to make checking air pressure easier.

Yeah, I do all of my local flying that way for the same reason. Takes me about 45 min to put them on when I taking a long trip.

I have a set of RV-8 gear leg fairings waiting to be cut & installed. I'll need to replace the upper and lower intersection fairings though.

There's another 12 on the field with them installed. It looks nice. I think he said there wasn't a noticeable difference in performance -- not surprising. If I ever do get around to doing it, it will be just for looks. If you've seen my plane, you will understand why it's not a high priority. :eek:

A fellow RV-12 owner I know had a flat. The plane sat right down on the wheel pant fairing so you couldn?t even get it off without jacking up the plane. Since leaks sometimes are the result of a bad schrader valve it seems the wheel pants may be a liability. A bad schrader valve could be replaced without a jack if there is no wheel pant fairing.

Back