What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting AEX wedge to tailing edge of elevator?

JVolkober

Well Known Member
I am fitting the AEX wedge to the trailing edge of the left elevator. This is the first trailing edge I have worked on. The instructions say mark a line 7/32 from the forward edge of the wedge (which I interpret to be the wide edge) and center this line on the pre-drilled holes in the top skin. When I do this, the wedge extends about 1/4 inch beyond the trailing edge of the skin. I was expecting the trailing edge of the skin and wedge to line up with each other. Do I have it right. If not what am I doing wrong?

AEX drilling

I just completed this step... I drew the line 1/4 back from the leading (wide) side of the wedge and you are right, the tip ofthe wedge stuck out too much (but not by 1/4" !! more like by 1/16 or maybe 3/32).

The solution - just shove the wedge in until it was about right (I could still see my line in the undrilled skins holes, so it wasn't off by much) and drilled. It is important to still see the line (or draw a new one) to make sure the wedge is straight.

By the way - I did the rudder first and it is easier because the wedge is predrilled.

Good Luck!

My wedge stuck out as well. I used my aluminum file from Averys on the trailing edge to take off the excess to get a nice straight line. I checked some of the other builders websites and saw that they did the same thing.

Have a goodun!

The fore-aft position of the AEX wedge allows the skins to match the angle of the end ribs. The print does say to file off the 1/32" of stickout later on.

Steve

I did my trailing edges some time ago so my memory is a little hazy. However I think that if you move the wedge forward so the trailing edge lines up with the skin, the thickness of the wedge that you will drill and countersink from both sides may be a little thin??

Fin
9A Australia

I agree with Steve, the instructions say to file off the excess after the wedge is installed. So follow the instructions and your trailing edge will come out fine.

Thanks everyone for the assistance

Thank you all. I need to be more maticulous as I look at the plans. The note about filing the edge down is there. I fit the wedge according to the instructions, lining the holes up with a line that is 7/32" to 1/4" from the leading edge. It leaves about 3/16" protruding from the edge of the elevator. I figure if one can file down 1/32, one can file down six of them.

Instead of filing, I used a palm sander with medium grit sand paper. I'm not comfortable using a file on such a long straight edge. The sander takes aluminum away easily but still allows enough control so you don't gouge the edge. My came out perfect.

I used the 12" flat Vixen file I got from Cleveland. It worked great and proved to be much less effort than I thought. Used it both for the short edge on the left and the longer edge on the right.

Back