What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New & Different Gear SB problem

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Thinking that I could make things easier, I have created a problem for myself. I removed the F-1275G cover plates to provide access to make it easier to drill the holes for the new F-1202U skin attach doublers and access the gear bolts.
The heads of the rivets came off just as they should but the body remains stuck in the tabs of the fuselage bulkhead the plates are riveted to. Trying to drive out the mandrell OR the rivet results in the tab bending up and there's no obvious way to hold them in place or bend them back. Each tab is separate and bends very easily.

If the cover plates aren't structural the obvious answer is to bend the tabs on up and simply rivet the plates to F1275L. Is that acceptable or MUST the plate be riveted to the bulkhead tab?

Anybody else do this and if so, what's the fix? Any/all suggestions appreciated.

Wayne 120241 143WM

Thinking that I could make things easier, I have created a problem for myself. I removed the F-1275G cover plates to provide access to make it easier to drill the holes for the new F-1202U skin attach doublers and access the gear bolts.
The heads of the rivets came off just as they should but the body remains stuck in the tabs of the fuselage bulkhead the plates are riveted to. Trying to drive out the mandrell OR the rivet results in the tab bending up and there's no obvious way to hold them in place or bend them back. Each tab is separate and bends very easily.

If the cover plates aren't structural the obvious answer is to bend the tabs on up and simply rivet the plates to F1275L. Is that acceptable or MUST the plate be riveted to the bulkhead tab?

Anybody else do this and if so, what's the fix? Any/all suggestions appreciated.

Wayne 120241 143WM

The typical way used when removing LP4-3 rivets is to drive the mandrel out first. Then drill the rivet using an 1/8 drill bit. It will remove cleanly without damaging the hole (as long as you drill straight).

Purposely not riveting portions of the structure that was intended to be fastened to everything else, is not a very good idea.

Wayne

I had this same problem when I did the original inspection on the gear. What I did was to remove the wing spar roller to gain access to the tab that got bent. I then used a very long socket extension to bend the tab back as much as possible and used the extension to hold it down while installing the new rivet. Hope this helps.

To more easily remove the rivet tails from the tabs, use a small wire cutter or nipper to grab them and then rotate the cutter head till they come out. Sometimes they just pop off when you grab them.
good luck.

Thanks Hal

That worked, and I did not remember how easy it is to remove the roller. Now if I van get in back in again... :)

Thanks Hal

That worked, and I did not remember how easy it is to remove the roller. Now if I van get in back in again... :)

Back