What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DYNON SKYVIEW HDX QUESTION

Lizard Lips

Doing the configuration thing with my Dynon HDX and had something happen today that I have not seen before. At end of the day I began shutting down both screens ? PFD on left and MAP on right. Wasn't paying close attention to the shutdown, but always before when I turn the avionics switch and the master switch "off" the system gives me 30 seconds to change my mind. So, after 30 seconds each screen shuts down. Today was not the case and I noticed several minutes later that the system was still running. The only way I could get it to shut down was physicaly disconnect the backup batteries.

After reconnecting the backup batteries, I powered the system back up about 15 minutes later and went through the shut down procedure again and all functioned normally.

Anybody have any idea what might have happened? Had I not noticed that the EFIS was still running I presume it would have continued to run until the backup batteries were completely discharged. Not good for the batteries.
s
Joe
Longview, Texas

RV-14A 95% complete, 95% to go
Arion Lightning LS-1 - Flying regularly
2020 dues paid

Were you by chance outside in the wind? The HDX will not shutdown if it senses airspeed above, I believe, 20 knots. It will continue on battery power in that case.

Did you try to shut it down by holding down the #1 button for 5 seconds?

My NON HDX skyview screen has done that in a different instance. If I turn power on to them, then turn power off before they are fully started.

The was 2 ways I get it to turn off. Turn the avionics bus back on until it is fully started, then turn off or press and hold the left hand button at least 5 seconds.

Have never had those 2 things not work. Don?t have experience with HDX, but that might work.

SKYVIEW HDX QUESTION

My thanks to both of you for your responses. To answer your question:
I was NOT outside in the wind. My RV-14A is still under construction in my hangar. I actually have been in the process of configuring and calibrating the EFIIS and possibly triggered the problem myself.
If it should happen again I will use the recommendation from both of you to press #1 button for 5 seconds. It's a real pain to disconnect and reconnect the backup batteries.

Speaking of backup batteries, mine are getting to a low charge condition. Is there any way to charge these batteries without actually running the engine? I'm still one to two weeks away from running the engine for the first time.
Thanks
Joe
Longview, Texas

Most installations use the main or emergency buss bar to charge the backup battery so you will have to get 12V to your buss bar. This may require you to turn on your master switch. That said, you will need to make sure your aircraft battery is completely charged. It is a good practice to have your charger hooked up to your aircraft battery whenever you have your master switch on so as not to run down your main or emergency batteries.

Speaking of backup batteries, mine are getting to a low charge condition. Is there any way to charge these batteries without actually running the engine? I'm still one to two weeks away from running the engine for the first time.
Thanks
Joe
Longview, Texas

Hook up a charger to your main battery and turn one screen on at a time. Backup batteries will charge above a certain voltage sensed by the system.

You don't have to be outside for the system to "sense" that the airplane is moving. You may want to do the zero airspeed adjustment with something blocking the pitot tube, per instructions.

If you turned the master back on and off it can confuse the screens and they then run on the backup batteries and you dont get the message screen again.

Have done it several times myself.

But dont worry, they will go out all by themselves. In an hour or so :D

Back