What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Backup AI solutions

bruceh

Well Known Member
OK, I'm looking to get IFR capability in my RV-9A's all Dynon Skyview panel.
I have a couple of options in order to provide a backup attitude indicator (along with Airspeed/Altitude/etc.)

Dynon sells a backup/secondary ADAHRS-201, so I could get that, and then run two Skyview EFIS screens and theoretically be redundant. I currently only have a single Skyview Classic 10" screen, so having an additional 10" screen would be beneficial and give more flexibility in flying from either seat. They would both have the backup battery.

The other option would be something like a Garmin G5 standalone EFIS. It is smaller and more single purpose, but advantage would be it's a separate vendor and disconnected from the Skyview network.

Cost wise, the additional Skyview EFIS and secondary ADAHRS is definitely more cost than just adding a Garmin G5, but the installation would be simple, and like I said, it would be much more capable and flexible having dual EFIS screens for PFD, ENGINE and MAP displaying.

As for adding the IFR capability, I'm thinking about using the Garmin GPS 175, which would require the ARINC-129 adapter from Dynon, along with upgrading to a heated pitot.

Back