What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Threading aluminum tube. Need help.

charosenz

Well Known Member
I usually have had success threading aluminum tube. Until I tried threading the 3.5" tubes to make the F659 flap rods. They are so short I cannot f8nd anything that will secure them without marring the 5/16" -0.058 tube...

Does anybody sell these already threaded?

Cleveland

I usually have had success threading aluminum tube. Until I tried threading the 3.5" tubes to make the F659 flap rods. They are so short I cannot f8nd anything that will secure them without marring the 5/16" -0.058 tube...

Does anybody sell these already threaded?

Cleveland tools sells threaded foap rods but not sure about that length.

Drill a hole in a small wooden block the diameter of the rod. Slit one side of the block to the hole so it can be clamped in a vice. This will hold firm with no damage.

Drill a hole in a small wooden block the diameter of the rod. Slit one side of the block to the hole so it can be clamped in a vice. This will hold firm with no damage.

+1 or make a long slit, but this is cheap non-marring and universal.

The other big help is to not buy a hardware store tap, but get a spiral point fluted tap. These cut much easier than the standard plug taps.

Thank you to all who posted. Great tips. The unusual part for me what that the flap rods are so dang short (3.5") that most of the techniques did not work well for me.

But I did get the part completed. The technique that worked best for me was to cinch it down in my Dewalt drill that has the typical 3 day chuck, then use tapped it by hand.

I used to have a good friend who was a master on the lathe, but he passed away. I personally have found it hard to find folks who have a lathe and are good with it.

Thanks again.

Charlie

The flap rods on the RV-9 (and possibly other models) are hexagonal (part number VA-256), and they are pre drilled. I don't recall if they are pre tapped, but you could probably buy these. I just checked the plans and they call out this part differently from the tubing used in the RV-7. Not sure why (maybe the larger flaps on the -9 require stronger flap rods)?

Last edited:
Bruce,

While I did end up tapping my own tubes, I did like the idea of the hex - pre-tapped rods the -9 uses. So I ordered them. I got them today and while they may be "too strong", I think they are a significant improvement over the thin wall AT that the -6a plans spec'd. (I'm not saying the original ones are not strong enough...).

The flap rods on the RV-9 (and possibly other models) are hexagonal (part number VA-256), and they are pre drilled. I don't recall if they are pre tapped, but you could probably buy these. I just checked the plans and they call out this part differently from the tubing used in the RV-7. Not sure why (maybe the larger flaps on the -9 require stronger flap rods)?

Back