What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

installing fuel sender - best sealants?

flyboy1963

Well Known Member
So I'm putting in a new standard SW fuel sender, and it comes with the rubber gasket...but the previous one seeped a bit, perhaps thru the screw threads, so had to seal those up.
would it be wise to brush some #3 permatex aviation formagasket on the gasket and threads before installing?

I used the gasket with no additional sealant. Putting some goo on the screw threads may prevent the seapage but may make it difficult to get the screws out next time.

I installed SEALED nutplates for the sender and the big inspection cover. I don't know why this is not standard or at least an option other than it costs more.

Bevan

Throw away all gaskets and install the sender with proseal.

+1 on this, based on my own experience. I have not had good long-term luck with the rubber or cork seals - and have not had a problem in getting pro-sealed units to come off when needed.

I recently needed to replace a sender I had sealed with proseal. No issues getting the old one out. Pretty sure the documentation that came with the new one (from Van's) said to toss the gaskets and use proseal only. So, that's what I did. No leak issues with the original install or the replacement.

Sealed nut plates

I installed SEALED nutplates for the sender and the big inspection cover. I don't know why this is not standard or at least an option other than it costs more.

Bevan

Same here. Sealed nutplates.

gasket or proseal

Rubber gaskets came with my kit (RV-8). Slow construction so probably 3 years from install to first fuel in tanks, then 1 1/2 years to first condition inspection. This showed staining around gasket on one tank. De-fueling was a pain, but the plate, screws and sender were easily removed. Installed with Proseal and no problems since. I'm waiting for the other gasket to leak....

Back