What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best way to finish off steel braid hose on non fitting end

walkman

Well Known Member
I'm building new hoses for a variety of things. I also have a couple of existing hoses with this issue.

These are stainless steel braid over teflon with AN fittings on one end, but the other end is a push-on fitting with a hose clamp.

What is the preferred method of finishing off the braiding on the non-fitting end?

On a couple of (non-FWF) hoses I have now, the non-fitting end rapidly sprouts a halo of spikes which are a real (literal) pain when working anywhere near them.

Thanks

I've used heat shrink to cover the cut ends of braided hose to keep it neat. Looks trick, and it only takes an inch or two of heat shrink.

Heat Shrink Tubing - With Adhesive

You can buy - McMaster-Carr comes to mind, heavy wall shrink tube with an internal heat activated adhesive. The intended purpose of the adhesive is to act as a sealant, but in the case of shrink tube going over something entirely smooth like a hose cover (no bumps to "fix" the tube to the cover once shrunk), the adhesive will "glue" the shrink tube to the hose permanently.

David Howe

You can buy - McMaster-Carr comes to mind, heavy wall shrink tube with an internal heat activated adhesive. The intended purpose of the adhesive is to act as a sealant, but in the case of shrink tube going over something entirely smooth like a hose cover (no bumps to "fix" the tube to the cover once shrunk), the adhesive will "glue" the shrink tube to the hose permanently.

David Howe

Thanks David for amplifying - yes - I used the heavy walled heatshrink with adhesive. My crankcase breather lines are braid-covered convolute hose from Tom Swearingen, and since it just goes on to a nipple on the engine, I finished the ends with the big, adhesive heat shrink.

Back