What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Missing letters?

Tharpo

Looked at an O-320 Lycoming today that didn't seem to have any lettering after the O-320 part.Is this an early engine or do I need to look some more? The story that goes with it sounds pretty good, but want to hear more from the experts.Thanks
Blessings
Tom H.

Looked at an O-320 Lycoming today that didn't seem to have any lettering after the O-320 part.Is this an early engine or do I need to look some more? The story that goes with it sounds pretty good, but want to hear more from the experts.Thanks
Blessings
Tom H.

Yes, there is an O-320 that had no suffix. It would be an older narrow deck engine.

Charlie

You are probably looking at what would later be known as an A2B (FP prop setup off a supercub). The other early O-320 that didn't have a suffix I think would become the A1A, originally on a Apache. Hope that helps.

Not an expert, but FWIW, the engine in our 9a is an O-320 (no suffix) - it's a narrow deck. The first entry in the engine logbook is from its original installation in 1955. It is a 150hp engine rather than 160. We're currently at 600 SMOH, and it runs well with normal oil analysis results.

Thanks so much for the quick replies. One more quick.one if I may....if memory serves I think I read somewhere that narrow deck engines should be avoided in RV's. That so?
Thanks
Tom H.

Yes, they are worth nothing. I can come by and haul it off for you if its in the way

Narrow deck can be a little harder to find parts for, but no less reliable than the wide deck. Upgrading a 150hp to more than 150hp O-320 requires a case stud change.

I have one in my Citabria and a narrow deck O-360 for my swift, not gonna worry about it. In fact, I sold a wide deck O-320 I could have put back in the citabria...

Sorry to bust your bubble oxuser, but narrow deck engines are not difficult to find parts for in any way, shape or form. All of the manufacturers, including Superior and ECI make narrow deck parts. The only real differences in the cylinders, and they use a few different push rod tube related parts as well as half moon plates at the cylinder base.

The H2AD is to be avoided, Narrow deck takes plates,special(expensive) nuts,the same nuts there using on the stroker motors.

Back