What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-989 installation

gerard_opio

I'm New Here
Hello ,
Does anyone has a trick to install the F-989 push rod? My hand are a little too big around the F-635 elevator bellcranck to insert the small washers :confused:

Gerard

RV9A finishing

Hi Gerard,

I'd either use the tape trick, where you make a little handle for the washer out of tape, then pull it away when the washer's in place, or for hard-to-reach "outside" washers, I find that a small magnetic retrieval tool works wonders...so helpful for those lower spar bolts when you're attaching the main gear weldments.

The inside washers, up against the rod ends can be a huge pain, with much cursing (pardon my French. :) ). I've spent 10 or 15 minutes trying to get one in place.

Installation done

Thanks to all of you!
I can install the F-989 rod easily with the tape trick. I guess I will have to remove and reinstall it two or three times to adjust the pitch position later so I will fabricate the littles tools for washers because there are some others interesting places to put washers like the aileron rods on the stick assembly :rolleyes:.

Gerard

Back