What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is this plugged port?

Bevan

Well Known Member
I'm looking for a better oil return port from the oil separator and found this. I would assume there is pressurized oil behind this port but sure would be nice to know if it could be used to drain oil back to the sump. It's the port right near the shadow of the oil line (to prop) in the photo. This is an O-360 right rear accessory case. The prop governor is just out of view to the left.

http://i59.tinypic.com/crg42.jpg

Bevan

Last edited:
Bingo! It's nice and low yet not below the pan's oil level. Seems to me that other than the size (8npt) this would be great spot to return oil from the separator.

Thank Dan, BTW did you just "know" this or is there an online document from Lycoming or other available?

Bevan

I just did this last week on my O-360-A1A. I got a barbed fitting from the Lowe's Aircraft Supply store for about three bucks. Ran a hose from the bottom of the separator to the fitting. The only issue was the plug was a BEAR to get out!!!

I have this separator:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/hboilbreather.php

The vent from the crankcase goes to the right fitting. The bottom fitting goes to the port we have been discussing. The left fitting goes to the hose to the bottom of the plane. I still get oil on the bottom of the plane from the vent, which I wouldn't expect.

Anyone have any ideas why?

Chris,

That plug is 8NPT (1/2 inch). My hose from the separator is 1/4 inch ID rubber Stratoflex hose. I would need some kind of adaptor. Do you have a picture or sizing info for tnat fitting?

Bevan

......... The only issue was the plug was a BEAR to get out!!!

Amen to that!! I broke two sockets trying. Finally sawed off a 1 inch section of a 5/16 hex wrench, put it in a 5/16 heavy duty socket and heated the engine area (not the plug) for 5 minutes with a propane torch and it finally loosened up. Think I needed a 12 inch extension to clear the engine and a long handle wrench for more leverage. The plug looked brand new when removed after being in there for about 40 years.....

Back