What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Order of Cowling

ethand

Well Known Member
What order is the cowling vs the engine?

I am planning on doing the skybolt system at least along the firewall, and maybe the entire cowling.

Looking for things to do while I wait for my delayed engine from BPE and trying to understand if I can do initial fit of the cowl/skybolts before engine.

Thanks
E

May not be the right way, but I installed the majority of the skybolts along the firewall, noting where the split in the cowling would be and where they stop near the exhaust exit at the bottom. Fortunately I had a flying 10 I could look at and take measurements to know where the top and bottom come together. I then left out the ones in that area so I can adjust there alignment when I actually fit the cowling. I'm not doing any of the horizontal fasteners on the cowling until I hang the engine and trim the cowling. Here's a pic, let me know if you can't see the images.

SLtuI2yVit21j_egzo8X974hNFXP0oajTqu2wFAssVpyA8XZF4oNFrpKFvoJoQAIR2XRYmU9bovlf6-_MDXXCvpZSoMNwlLh7QOV-GJdy_idm82gMlXuuF654UayaUMi73gH9RXy-UDc_N5ykqhUhoYF_xoz61jruJRa2ghqzUMDg9Slg3Q9OkKOvpZrZFSDVLUpcGNbUF82NTDKp6KTF2jKkFAiA1IwJqTtYctOndAimvYggTxmyQEhwyZ68pKRiXosUCDCHA93qXOrY1y88WBmVtcOf-APJfRFwRHzOQRnr3td6gyUt8yQdeapdxo5tYEx1rABonC1VUM4xbQqe_DLcmCk9If4Uw39ZVc-UandYe3XrooEAhbqMt19TNt7rM1xQeOaKUrboOPRbwAAZAWC18kRavw5kn2PddqK7xwjLXtKw1ISCcsOADwbMa8RNlryS-0c5LCgF3SlF58CSTJFwvykm-R3w28_cydJRm6zPB_PYJnqb-piscMjjofXVb0IFrBkYiqUyDwi9ZmsBvhXII1QB-hinftJuSRpYM3z6FpHMzboGek1rLh7J-4ybM8LeWXZpzO7iz5dHMKQsvq_ePUmafUo8g7gtvuqK0MJvnqdzdOFjzNk3V6ERtxMLvIUJFo2-dqDyDqD9GbNHe8CvG-MGMa3zQ=w1412-h794-no

Last edited:
Don't screw up like me and put a tab right where the engine mount cluster is. It was not obvious because the mount was not installed yet (RV4). Now I have to move it and there goes my nice even spacing. I'll get it perfct on the next airplane. I would put the engine on first so that any clearance issues will be more obvious.

cowl

I did the skybolts for the entire cowl. I think you could complete the firewall portion before the engine.

Make absolutely SURE that you don't have any interference with the skybolts at the engine mount corners. If you get them too close to the mounts, you will have interference.

That being said, I really like the skybolts and would do it again...

What order is the cowling vs the engine?

I am planning on doing the skybolt system at least along the firewall, and maybe the entire cowling.

Looking for things to do while I wait for my delayed engine from BPE and trying to understand if I can do initial fit of the cowl/skybolts before engine.

Thanks
E

You can't fit the cowl without the engine. The engine will determine the position of the front of the cowl. You can, however, make the strips for your skybolts. You can also do any additional firewall protection you plan.

Have you done your gear fairings and wheelpants?

What Kyle said. I installed my engine and fitted the cowl before I installed the camloc mounting strips. My camlocs are Milspec brand and I rolled my own mounting strips, but the concept is the same and I didn't have any issues mounting them with the engine in-place.

FP14122014A0000M.jpg

FP14122014A0000N.jpg

You are also better of letting the engine hang for a while before fitting the cowling. It settles a little and then the cowling fit is off.

Back