What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual-sreen Skyview Announced:

So far the announcement is only for the factory built option. I'm still waiting, but its nice to know it should be here soon and a general idea of how much!

Still not on the order form...

Bob

Last edited:
I wonder how they are going to manage the power output of the Rotax, or the lack there of? Or at least I recall powering the extra screen was a dilemma with Skyview. It looks like they figured it out.

I wonder how they are going to manage the power output of the Rotax, or the lack there of? Or at least I recall powering the extra screen was a dilemma with Skyview. It looks like they figured it out.

I believe Van's has relocated the voltage regulator out of the engine compartment (heat was part of the problem)......

What reason do you guys have for adding the second screen?

Separate power sources would probably leave one unit intact but unless both are sourced from separate ADAHARS then you could still lose both, and the 'backup'.

I flew a demo RV-12 with dual Garmin G3X Touch and having the second screen devoted to a full screen sectional map/chart was really nice but extravagant at $5k for the additional screen.

I could see a flight school being interested, and having a pilot passenger etc

Just curious.

What reason do you guys have for adding the second screen?

Separate power sources would probably leave one unit intact but unless both are sourced from separate ADAHARS then you could still lose both, and the 'backup'.

I flew a demo RV-12 with dual Garmin G3X Touch and having the second screen devoted to a full screen sectional map/chart was really nice but extravagant at $5k for the additional screen.

I could see a flight school being interested, and having a pilot passenger etc

Just curious.

Training and my wife wants in front of her what I have in front of me...actually that may be the other way around. Also, it just seems right (as long as I can swallow the price :eek: )

Bob

Van's will charge $4550 for the dual display installed in a new S-LSA. I have a one month old version of that with the single display.

I wonder what the price of the new display and the installation charge would be if I bought another Skyview in a box. I assume the installation would entail pretty much just the removal of the starboard side carbon fiber panel and glove box and installing a new one with a Skyview sized hole in it and then the changes needed for the power supply. That doesn't sound like much more than about two hours of A&P time.

I wonder if Van's will also sell the new carbon fiber partial panel....maybe even with a hole in already:)

....might be worth it....nice to have a full sized chart over there on the starboard side because us Old Fart Airport Bums would like one of those a little larger than now. I would also give The Boss (wife) a robust reference device to use to tell me where to go!

If you have input about this please give it to us.

EBB:)

I doubt you have a carbon fiber panel piece. Betcha you have a aluminum panel covered in carbon fiber "look" vinyl peel-and-stick! Lots of RVs (mine included) are doing that now. Open your map box door and check!

You should be able to get the right hand panel with cutout because Vans originally made a dual screen version for testing. They even had it in a PowerPoint presentation. In fact, the mysterious AV5000A box is set up for Dual Skyviews and already has a plug for the second one.

Adding the second screen should be pretty easy. One Ethernet cable between them. Splicing and paralleling the serial port wiring. Perhaps ditto for the audio wiring. Skyview network connector.

Moving the voltage regulator might be a bit more work than a couple of hours. I'll be curious to hear more about that. Incantbimagine it is cooler inside the avionics bay than in the engine bay with the blast tube connected to it. (the blast tube is added if the lights are installed.) Maybe it is located UNDER the bottom of the avionics bay? Above your knee? Also doesn't seem like that cool of an area.

Search the RV12 forum for "dual Skyview" for more info.

Source for Carbon Fibre peel n stick or panels

Was thinking/planning on doing the dual sky view (probably redo the panel and throttle all at the same time.)

Where is everyone getting the wrap for the carbon fiber panels I see all the time??

Back