What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What type of Dye ? (no not Paul)

Wicked Stick

Well Known Member
What type/kind of Dye is used to color/tint (West Systems) Epoxy Resins ?

I'd like to dye it black for the fiberglass work around the canopy bow and windscreen on my RV-8.

Thanks,
Dave R.

I've been using a black pigment made by TAP Plastics, sold by Aircraft Spruce:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/epoxyPigments.php

Seems to work well.

An extremely small amount of pigment is sufficient. Too small to measure. I just dip the very tip of a popsicle stick into this stuff, and the amount of pigment that sticks to it is enough to turn an ounce or two of mixed epoxy pitch black.

Note: always mix the epoxy first. After that you can mix in the pigment.

May be showing my ignorance.....but why do you want to dye the fiberglass?

Glenn Wilkinson

The underside of the canopy fairing will be visible from inside the cockpit over the edge of the glare shield. Black is preferred to minimize glare and reflections inside the cockpit.

I've been using a black pigment made by TAP Plastics, sold by Aircraft Spruce:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/epoxyPigments.php

Seems to work well.

An extremely small amount of pigment is sufficient. Too small to measure. I just dip the very tip of a popsicle stick into this stuff, and the amount of pigment that sticks to it is enough to turn an ounce or two of mixed epoxy pitch black.

Note: always mix the epoxy first. After that you can mix in the pigment.

So the 1 oz. bottle should be enough by the sounds of it. Thanks !
(I think I'll stay away from the graphite stuff)

I took a different approach. I used electrical tape to define a border on the inside of the windscreen, then scuffed and painted the plexi with flat black latex paint. It took about four coats, but by using a hair dryer between coats, the entire project took about two hours including the taping. It looks very sharp.

Back