What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Skyview Back-up Battery

bob1393

We have the Skyview in our RV12 which is under construction. We have installed the avionics. How do we charge the back-up battery so we can learn how to better use the Skyview system. We do not have the regular plane battery in yet.

Bob

You need to acquire a small regulated 12V power supply, and put power on the unit with that. The internal battery will be charging while you are hooked up to the power supply and the unit is turned on. Have fun learning the system.

I put my main battery on a 5 amp charger when I have to power up avionics for any length of time in the hangar. I usually figure about 6 amps for all avionics and I shut off the nonessentials when I'm in the hangar. I figure the battery is basically on float during my tinkering. I have dual D180/100 so the Skyview load may be different.

You do not have to have the backup battery to tinker. Pull the fuel pump fuse and turn on the master.

In fact, to do software updates you will have to have the master on, AND the avionics master on (to power the transponder and ADSB box if you have it) AND the AP switch on (to power the servos) because a software update sends new code to all those things. The backup battery will not power those things. It only powers the Skyview box, the EMS, the ADAHRS, and the GPS receiver.

You do not have to have the backup battery to tinker. Pull the fuel pump fuse and turn on the master.

In fact, to do software updates you will have to have the master on, AND the avionics master on (to power the transponder and ADSB box if you have it) AND the AP switch on (to power the servos) because a software update sends new code to all those things. The backup battery will not power those things. It only powers the Skyview box, the EMS, the ADAHRS, and the GPS receiver.

Thanks Bill, that is excellent information.

As a side note, while I am "tinkering," I use a Vector Smart Charger (not a maintainer) and set it on a 6 amp charge.
While charging, during tinkering, that gives an indication of approximately 12.8 vdc, very adequate for powering everything for SkyView, besides charging the backup battery.

The maintainer that I use is an "Optimax 4," which does a great job of automatic, unattended, testing, charging and maintaining. It was highly recommended to me by my mechanic.

I bought a Battery Minder 1212 to tinker with my dual Skyviews but it only delivers 2 amps and I see where Odyssey is possibly suggesting an Odyssey Ultimizer which puts out 12 amps. Only problem I don't know which battery I have in the production RV-12 and I don't want to take the engine cover again. I don't see in the paperwork I received anything about which model battery comes with the SLAS RV-12

I use the Radio Shack 13.8V, 19A power supply (also available on Amazon). I have a 12V AUX power jack wired to my main bus (through a fuse) so all I need to do is use a cigarette adapter on the power supply to energize my panel. I think that would recharge the Dynon back-up battery, too.

From Dynon....

It needs an alternator voltage input before it will charge - therefore 13.8v upwards.

Back