What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any Vans SnF specials?

JHartline

Well Known Member
I'm sure this gets asked every year but I can't find a related thread. Sorry if it's a tired subject.

I haven't been to SnF. I know Vans does a display but do they usually run an engine special? I'm hoping they have an IO-390 with my name on it. ;)

You will have to wait until SnF first day. If not at Lycoming display to get the news, call Vans sales that day. No one knows until opening day what the official discount will be.
Last year was a record shocker. Adding the engine/prop $1000 to the deal was sweet.
Hope you get a record.

Oh, just spoke with a friend who knows the night shift fire stoker.
Your engine was cast today.
Goes to milling tomorrow.
Soon, 210 horses will be yours.

Started mine for the first time yesterday. Only had to tweek the idle two clicks and now she's ready for flight.
Soon, very soon.

Hank,

That is great news! I am so jealous however :) I will be at SnF as well. I just bought tickets for three days. Plans are for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I have not been to SnF since the early 90's. Time flies. I am hoping to take advantage of all the workshops. With only having just completed section 8, I am quite aways from picking my engine. All of us 14 builders should try to get together one day?

Take Care All!

Shane,
I can't make SnF this year. How about a post covering the 14s.
Anything that stood out, what the owners are noting.
Try not to drool.
Photos would be nice.

Last edited:
Hoping for Lycoming/Vans SnF Special

Looking forward to the Lyc/Vans SnF price special and whether they apply a special price to their Thunderbolt brand. Could be what would lean me towards the Lyc.

Thanks for posting the specials.

Does anyone know if the Emag pricing is for dual or single Emag setup? Does Lycoming do the installation at the factory?

I don't know if the YIO-360-A1B6 engine (200 hp) would fit the RV14 but the IO-360 Thunderbolt option might be an interesting way to go over the IO-390.

Cheers Jim

The one on display at SnF has one Emag , and one Slick magneto mounted. They have a similar setup in their booth so I'm assuming factory mounted.

Last edited:
I spoke with Lycoming guy in their booth and the E Mag (one) option is factory mounted. If you buy the Thunderbolt version, there are many other options you can pick other then the ignition. All of these changes would go through Vans though.

Spoke to the chaps at Superior and they are offering 382 and 400 motors with front governors to fit the RV14.

The 382 is parallel valve, the 400 is angle valve.

382 saves a bit of weight and put out around 195hp

We will decide next year.

The one on display at SnF has one Emag , and one Slick magneto mounted. They have a similar setup in their booth so I'm assuming factory mounted.

As I understand the Van's show special, your options are:
- Lycoming with two mags
- Lycoming with one mag and one pMag (the pMag comes with the pMag spark plug wires, auto plugs and auto plug adapters)
- Lycoming with one pMag and nothing on the other side

There is no option to get dual pMags. I'll get the one pMag and nothing on the other side and install the second pMag myself.

Carl
"I don't do mags"

Back