What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MK-319 rivets

salto

Well Known Member
I notice that the MK-319 rivets tend to dome a little during the setting event and was wondering 1- is this normal and 2- if not what is the technique to keep them flush ?

They should not "dome" if you are using the correct rivet set. Make sure that the hole in the rivet set fits the rivet stem snuggly. If the hole is too large, it will allow the rivet head to "dome".

Last edited:
Good question!

Hey. I also will soon use these. (have not yet)

I just realized that the MK-319 pull rivets are actually larger in diameter then the #40 holes.

I have a chart and it says:
#40 2.4892mm or .098"
MK-319 2.7781mm or .109375"

I don't have a drill in these sizes. Do I need to get one?
What is the procedure commonly used here and may this be the reason they dome?

MK319BS rivets are 7/64" requiring drilling a #34 or #33 hole - usually after dimpling with a #40 simple die. I also had domes on mine. I've tried everything under the sun without success to eliminate them.

Last edited:
I notice that the MK-319 rivets tend to dome a little during the setting event and was wondering 1- is this normal and 2- if not what is the technique to keep them flush ?

Mine do not sit perfectly flush either .. they "raise up" about 1/32 when pulled .. seems to be common when I look at other builds. Looking closer at the process; they sit completely flush prior to pulling but the act of pulling is what raises it up.

My guess is the tool we're using and the method. I'm using the Craftsman puller (yellow) provided with my tool kit.What puller are you using? When I pull mine I do not push down rather add upward pressure to get the tool away from the skin so it doesn't snap back and ding/scratch the skin. I bet this is what's causing mine to raise up a bit.

Last edited:
They do stand slightly proud. I plan to fill them in, sand, paint and fly on. Doubt I will notice or care much when it's flying.

Bkervaski: Don't pull up when pulling those blind rivets. Push down instead. Sure, you may scratch the skin if the thing jumps, but, when you paint you will need to completely scuff the skin anyway (unless you are going for the no-paint polished look?). Scratches happen and they won't be seen after paint. If you absolutely feel you have to protect it, get a rubber pad with a hole in it to center on the rivet as a protector....like the fuel filler pads the line guys use only small for riveting. But don't pull on the rivet as you squeeze the pop-rivet tool.

Don't pull up when pulling those blind rivets.

Thanks for the tip .. not going crazy just enough pressure to try to avoid those dings. We started using masking tape around each one. I'll try to apply pressure on some and see what happens.

The scratches don't bother me but I dinged one good early on and made a skin replacing dent. Needless to say I'm better at it at this point but that memory stuck.

Back