What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Backup Attitude Reference

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
With IFR in mind, any thoughts on the best way to have a redundant attitude reference? Ideally it would mount in the panel, and be fully electric. How would it fit in with the big touch screen displays? Which one has a good battery backup?

I like the dynon pocket panel units that just sit on the dash or suction cup in place in a pinch; I suppose that it doesn't have to be constantly running on the dash if it is a backup item to a pretty reliable primary. But it isn't a super clean and tidy solution.

Do you think the RV14 stock panels we will be offered will have anything like this?

The Dynon was not bright enough for me in the RV cockpit. The Grand Rapids mini is perfect. Read some of the past threads on the opinions and experience, you might like it.

Another Mini Vote

I suggest you look at the GrandRapids Mini line of attitude indicators. Full of features, easy to install, small foot print and extremely readable.

Just being implemented are new features including ADSB, Engine displays from the EIS, Blue Tooth.

They have a back up battery option also.

I replaced my Dynon Pocket, which I really liked by the way, with the MiniX and am extremely happy with that choice.

The Mini does look good. Looks like it would take static and pitot inputs too for truly independent function too. Is there any way to tie the GPS antenna input to the ship GPS antenna? Must be a splitter of some sort for that.... Or is the 3db loss a problem when that is done?

GPS antennas can't be split. They get power from the GPS device, and you can't share that power.

Don't forget the Dynon D6 also as a panel mounted backup, integrated battery backup, with over a decade of history as both a primary and backup EFIS.

With IFR in mind, any thoughts on the best way to have a redundant attitude reference? Ideally it would mount in the panel, and be fully electric.
I went with a TruTrak ADI. It's mounted in the panel, easy to read, and part of my regular instrument scan. No suction cups, cigarette lighter plug connections, or view of the sky required. I opted for no separate backup battery but wired it to my E-buss.

Most of all, I like how well it work for setting climb and bank rates instead of pitch and bank attitudes.

I believe the TruTrak ADI is discontinued now (I bought mine used) but TruTrak also makes the Gemini ADI although I have no firsthand experience with it.

--
Joe

I've used pretty much all of the ones mentioned, and compared to flying needle/ball/airspeed, every single one of them is worth their weight in gold! :)

Honestly, they all work well enough - I prefer disimilar redundancy, so I choose one from a different manufacturer than my main EFIS.

Backup

With IFR in mind, any thoughts on the best way to have a redundant attitude reference? Ideally it would mount in the panel, and be fully electric. How would it fit in with the big touch screen displays? Which one has a good battery backup?

I like the dynon pocket panel units that just sit on the dash or suction cup in place in a pinch; I suppose that it doesn't have to be constantly running on the dash if it is a backup item to a pretty reliable primary. But it isn't a super clean and tidy solution.

Do you think the RV14 stock panels we will be offered will have anything like this?

I put in the GRT Mini as a backup for the G3X, totally different system, has a good battery backup. It uses it's own GPS, small antenna that I plan to mount under the cowling. Uses the same pitot and static tubes off a T of the Garmin. Has it's own magnetometer, which I mounted on a shelf towards the back with the Garmin and it's own OAT, which is mounted on the other wing in the same spot as the Garmin OAT by the inboard access panel. Everything not totally connected yet, but no smoke!

2vk18w3.jpg

Another fairly inexpensive option is the portables, like the Stratus. If you are running a tablet as an EFB, then why not have yet another line of defense?

I have a 4500 AFS as my main EFFIS screen. My official backup is a Gemini from TruTrak. The Gemini works fine, but for me, 60 year old eyes, the screen is too small. Also I find the touch screen settings to be a bit fussy. Setting the barometer in rough IFR would be a challenge.
Since I started using my Stratus/foreflight system it has become my main backup instrument. It is highly accurate in terms of pitch and roll and matches my EFFIS. I find it easy to use and is, of course, much larger then the Gemini. The only downside is that the altitude, and ground speed are GPS derived and as such not appropriate for approaches. I do have a standard round Altimeter and Airspeed which will cover those issues in my plane.
I tested the system in a friend's Cirrus and it matched his screens exactly, right down to showing the plane slightly out of trim.

The mini looks great in your panel. That's all I have in mine but it's great. Now I need some screens beside it like your g3x ers

I have two things in my panel for backup; a Garmin handheld mounted in an AirGizmo and a Dynon D1 Pocket Panel.

Between the two I should be able to keep the plane upright and navigate for four plus hours on their internal batteries.

While some people complain the Dynon isn't bright enough, that may be true in full sunlight, it is more than bright enough at night or in the clouds.

Back