What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How would the Garmin ADAHRS be installed with the bracket provided in the kit?

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I've been looking at the ADAHRS tray before I close the wing skins, and I'm not sure how I would install the Garmin ADAHRS on it. The Dynon has the little tabs on the bottom that obviously slide into the tray, but the Garmin doesn't have that feature. And it seems that neither one would be able to be screwed down as is because there aren't nutplates installed on the tray before installation.

Do the flutes on the retainers have to be very deep to securely hold the Dynon unit? I don't have the experience to know if it will rattle around on there. My flutes are 1/16 to 1/8 deep.

I haven't made a Garmin/Dynon decision yet; but assuming I want all Garmin - how would the Garmin ADAHRS be mounted?

Seems like it would make sense to have the bracket without the L-shaped portion and simply install nutplates on a template for the unit desired?

And why is the z-bracket angled a bit? I suppose it is to account for the wing dihedral?

Though no G3X expert...

I'm installing a G3X Touch in my -4/ The ADAHRS mounts right to the back of the screen, if it can fit in my -4 without question, the -14 will be no different. Note: This was for thw GSU 25 sensor, if you have the GSU 73 it might be a different story.

Additionally, my G3X did not come with a mounting kit for the ADAHRS, are you perhaps referring to the magnetometer?

Last edited:
On further investigation it seems that I should be able to fashion the ability to mount either the Dynon or the Garmin pretty easily.

The Garmin is 4x2.5 inches and is secured with 4 AN3-7 bolts. By rotating it 90 degrees it should be possible to put in four K1000-03 nutplates and not interfere with any of the mounting hardware in place for the Dynon ADAHRS. I'll have to be careful to keep it square because it wants to be within 1 degree of true and I'm not sure I can meet that tolerance - but I can try.

When rotated part of the unit will be forward of the z-bracket and some aft of it; but I think the mounting plate is rigid enough to be okay with that?

I'm pretty sure it would be very very hard to retrofit this once the skin is on; anyone have any experience?

The good thing is that I could put the nutplates in and then finish out the wing; putting in either unit then would be pretty easy.

It would be nice if the locator holes came prepunched in the part.

Oh, and it would change the hardware from a bottom entry to a side entry. Not sure that it matters since the unit is centered in the bay.

For the G3 Garmin systems, the ADAHRS mount to the panel very easily. No need to be in the wing. I think the idea is to use the wing mount for the remote Garmin magnetometer.

Bob, I think the issue is that the magnetometer is now generally integrated into the ADAHARS making the mounting a little more challenging. The 14 locates it in the left wing a couple of feet outboard

I know the Dynon magnetometer is in the ADAHRS but the Garmin G3 systems still show it as separate.

The Van's guys at the show I spoke with said the ADAHRS mount will be the location of the G3X magnetometer. I asked because I told him I had just finished the left wing and installed the ADAHRS mount but I was leaning toward the G3X system. He said there would be a retrofit kit that changes the wing wiring as well.

Nothing in writing of course, and I don't remember the name of the guy I talked with, but he is one of the engineers working on getting the rest of the 14 kits finished and out the door.

That's pretty confusing..... but oh well. I suppose if the G3X ADAHRS is up behind the panel then the pitot and AOA tubing need to get routed there too. I really wanted to close the wings up and keep going but I suppose I just can't.....

That's pretty confusing..... but oh well. I suppose if the G3X ADAHRS is up behind the panel then the pitot and AOA tubing need to get routed there too. I really wanted to close the wings up and keep going but I suppose I just can't.....

If you can get you're arm inside a wing to buck the rivets that attach the lower skins, then you can easily get in there and run some wires and pitot tubes. I would move on.

ADAHRS

The ADAHRS can get mounted behind the panel to the 460. Mine is mounted there. We had many lengthy discussions with the G3X team and they said it was fine there, provided the thickness of the panel was enough to firmly support the 460.

Today we closed the wings and have the magnetometer in the back of the fuselage mounted on a shelf like Tim did. If you want Aileron trim, make sure your wiring is in there for that.

Thanks Stoney.

So you must have routed the pitot dynamic and AOA lines out the wing root and up to the panel too? Where on the wing root did you bring them out?

Did you run pitot heat wiring? I'm getting some 12Ga to run for that and deciding if I want a Molex at the root to disconnect it or if I will just straight line it when the wings are hung. There is also a smaller gauge sensor line to run to the panel.....

Pitot

Thanks Stoney.

So you must have routed the pitot dynamic and AOA lines out the wing root and up to the panel too? Where on the wing root did you bring them out?

Did you run pitot heat wiring? I'm getting some 12Ga to run for that and deciding if I want a Molex at the root to disconnect it or if I will just straight line it when the wings are hung. There is also a smaller gauge sensor line to run to the panel.....

I added a couple of snap bushings and followed the line out from where they stopped in the bay for the ADAHRS. I did run pitot heat wiring to the pitot and put a toggle switch in the panel, but my pitot is currently not heated. Wings are finished, covered and moved to the warehouse. Now I have more room. Panel is installed and working. Now to hook up all those wires and antennas to it. It's a spaghetti factory.

Back