What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 10-20 nutplate question

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I'm studying the parts and the nutplates give me pause here. On the nut plates that run along the F1418R and L longeron the instructions have us dimple the skin for all #40 holes, and countersink the #40 holes on the longeron. AN426 rivets are called out. But then the instructions say not to dimple the nut plate. The drawing shows the nut plate on top of the skin, but if it is to not be dimpled seems like it should live inside the channel of the F1418R/L longeron just under the shop head. Which side does it go on? Will the nut plate just settle into the dimpled layers when the rivet is set if it is on top?

Then on the area for the rear access cover the callout seems to have the nut plate on top of the skin but it seems that they must go under the skin for the flush access cover solution to work.

Seems to me all these nut plates have to be on the interior?.. Is that right?

Yes, all the nutplates go inside the skins. The ones on the longerons do not need to be dimpled. The other nutplates that are inside just a skin like those fwd, aft, and below on the access cover need to be dimpled.

NutPlate General

I read early in my building that an experienced guy ( the late, Honorable, Bob Axsom) said he always used NAS rivets with his nut plates. You can take a nut plate and mount it in .025 skin with NAS rivets by just spinning the deburring tool 6-8 times for the countersink.

Vans does a very good job of keeping a common part count and use of NAS rivets goes against that theme. They call the -4 NAS "oops" rivets and I don't think they carry the -3's.

You might try this on your own then order a couple of tenths of NAS -3 rivets in various lengths. I love not having to dimple or use a fixed countersink for this purpose. You might too . . .

One exception: Where the rivet is being used to fasten skin to structure and a nut plate is added on back. I don't remember where this might happen, but an exception never the less.

Well - I reread your OP and this is not what you asked, but might be helpful later.

Last edited:
rivet

NAS1097 and they are available in -3 sizes. Used by Boeing extensively.

If you look through manual Section 5, you will find that it mentions that it is optional to use NASA1097 rivets for installation of nutplates.
I personally do this a lot, but as already mentioned, they should not be substituted at locations where the rivets is being used for more than just mounting the nutplate (skin attachment, etc.)

Last edited:
I got the inside the longeron part. Now the question is do I install all of them in the dimpled nutplate holes.

The drawing seems to indicate the first of 2X is the aft of the pair of nutplates where the leading edge of the HS fairing will attach. But forward of that nutplate that is depicted is the second set of nutplate holes and then another set of nutplate holes about 3 inches farther forward. I found those nutplates on page 12-10 on the side view but I can't figure out where they get installed.

Is this the right time to rivet those in? on Page 10-20? It seems like it but I don't want to build myself into a corner.

Back