Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2018, 04:21 PM

Default RV12 for x-country stuff out west?

Hello, I'm new to the forum and a 100 hour private pilot; I've been looking at buying a used RV12. I went and flew one a few hours this weekend to get some transition training. I really enjoyed the plane and the handling, especially the 3-4 gph at 100+kts! When I talked to the experienced 15K hour instructor he advised against one for anything except local around the patch flights. I'd really like to think it could be used for trips from Socal to Northern CA, AZ and even Utah, New Mexico...he thought with the big mountains everywhere that would be dangerous and such a light plane would not be a good choice except on the most perfect of days. Obviously I'd pick the best weather I could, but to be honest, he made me nervous that I'm being naive about the realities of light sport x-country capabilities. Would love to get some thoughts from those of you that have more experience. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2018, 04:31 PM

Welcome!

First, define what your overall mission is. Are long XC's in your weekly/monthly game plan?

The -12 is a capable little airplane and comfortable enough for enduring XC time. I have flown ours from Southern OH to Frederick, MD and then to Carbondale, IL and back to So. Ohio all in the same week.

Limitations : Fuel Endurance and flight in IMC conditions requiring IFR. Can these issues be overcome, yes. Folks have added fuel bladders to carry extra fuel (see the modifications thread). The -12 could be equipped for IFR if the Operating Limitations allow.

If it is a turbulent day, the light wing loading will keep you searching for smooth air.

If not equipped for night flight, plan ahead.

Mountains? I don't do much mountain flying other than hopping over the Appalachians on occasion and the -12 is fine for that.

The -12 is not an RV-10 or Bonanza, planning is different.

Remember, long xc's can be accomplished 1 hour at a time

RV-12 #328
At 435 Hrs on the Hobbs
Old 11-20-2018, 04:38 PM

Van's has been crossing the Rockies (east bound and west bound) with multiple RV-12's each year going to and from OSH for 10+ years now. I have made the round trip in an RV-12 myself a half dozen or so times. The airplane does fine but admittedly can get tossed around a bit if turbulence is bad.
Good planning and decision making is a good idea, but it doesn't require anything special. My go/no go decision would be the same in most any flight conditions regardless of which model RV I was flying (I.E., I don't feel limited when flying the RV-12 other than the trip is going to take longer, and the legs between fuel stops will be shorter).

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 11-20-2018, 04:39 PM

[quote=KALEWIS;1303983]Welcome!

"First, define what your overall mission is. Are long XC's in your weekly/monthly game plan?"

Thanks for the advice. I definitely think I would like to fly day VFR principally and occasionally, maybe monthly on 3-6 hour x-countries. I've flown mostly Piper Warriors to this point and my longest trip was Iowa to Oklahoma city. I would like to feel like it can be useful for more than 50 mile burger runs!
Old 11-20-2018, 05:10 PM

My RV 12 is based at Salt Lake International. I have to clear the mountains on almost every flight. The 12 does just fine at gross weight. It performs remarkably well when flying solo. The Rotax tends to run very rich at high altitude. I have found that the altitude compensating carburetors are less effective above 8000 feet. But it is not a big problem.

I have to stop for fuel every three hours; which is as long as I like to fly any given leg anyway.

I do not fly when the winds are greater than 15 knots over the ridge lines.

I have flown 350 hours over the he past two years, and very little of my flying has been hamburger runs. I have flown all over Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Nevada, and California.

I hope that helps.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:22 PM

This is all very helpful and makes me more comfortable. The only other thing that will take some getting used to was the castering nosewheel, especially on take-off! Hoping that is just a practice thing but it sure interesting trying to keep in straight on the runway!
Old 11-20-2018, 05:31 PM

Ask that experienced 15K hour instructor how many long cross country flights that he has flown in the RV-12. I suspect none. I flew my RV-12 from Michigan to Dallas TX and back. A friend has flown his RV-12 from Michigan to Van's Homecoming in Oregon and back. He has also flown to Florida more than once.
If you are looking for long distance transportation, take an airline. They are faster, safer and less costly. But if you are looking for a new toy and fun, and adventure, buy a RV-12.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:36 PM

You will soon get used to the castering nose wheel. The faster you taxi, the easier it is. It sorta reminds me of a tail wheel. You have to think ahead.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petizo1 View Post
Would love to get some thoughts from those of you that have more experience. Thank you!
If you have 20 minutes, this link may be helpful to you. My opinion about the RV-12 and its cross-country capabilities will be obvious

https://youtu.be/SR69XQj4jZg
Old 11-20-2018, 06:54 PM

Default LSA in mountains

Hi there,

I have not flown the RV-12. I did my PPL in a Gobosh, a certified LSA. My home field was Centennial Airport in Denver. Field elevation is 5,880 ft. I flew the Gobosh all over the mountains in Colorado using the same rules I use for my 6a. It has to be clear, and the winds aloft at 12,000 ft need to be less than 25 knots. This keeps me from getting tossed around. I took the Gobosh in and out of Leadville over Westin pass. It did fine. I think the RV-12 would be better since the empty weight is almost 70 pounds less than the Gobosh, and they have the same engine.

If you plan on doing a lot of XC then you might look at one of the 160-180 hp models of RV. They all fly about the same, ...really great! I took up flying 7a's and 6a's with about 140 hours. I thought the transition was pretty easy with the training I did before I bought. Just something to think about.

Blue skies.

Geoff