What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 HS-1016 Dinged

CaptainQwyx

So since Van's Support staff is away at Sun-n-Fun, I turn to y'all.

RV-10, page 8-10, Step 2. The rivet gun jumped a bit while riveting one of the corner rivets attaching the HS-1016 Stringer Web to the HS-1014 and -1015 Stringers. Some slight deformation, no actual cracks or creases. Pictures below...

I need to know if this is a critical component or is this superficial, cosmetic damage and can build on?

oOvCT0A2oWwGHXKE67ae5Lqv66L006cD3OAzIv4tgU3l184jMEQtHT6iMh960Ckq_RJ1wWdX1EZv8xMsW9yDEnRsM5Qxh3lPIiQmUAIJkzpB27TtXyiOuNUZ8ky23Ype5B85PqdDzA=w500-no

HmWPVZBW3FvRm2hM7XuzItenjlibnvEqHAdhESLRYo056IwXKtzmkZ-rbOxBrI7ynR3XtUJ-soEmv04liXb-okZ1b12yDvIOsQ7JN98RVAvVoltlMBaKxzD3SEvwjjG1h6F9Z_ijOw=w500-no

Inspect the dents carefully for cracks, if none then give it a quick whizz over with a scotchbrite wheel in your die grinder to soften any hard edges only, prime and carry on. Have a good look at what that dark line is just at the top edge of the rivet head - a paint chip or something more serious? Don't replace the rivet it is serviceable and trying to change it out may give a worse result.

Looks like it?s probably fine, but definitely check for cracks like stated above. You may also want to check to make sure those rivets are set properly. Pictures may be at strange angles but the ?shop? head on that rivet doesn?t look right.

Are you using the correct size set in your rivet gun? Looking at that mark on the factory head to the left it almost looks like you are using a -3 set instead of a -4. That would explain it wanting to jump off the head as well.

It may be camera trickery but the dinged rivet shop head looks crooked along with the topmost rivet on the right side of your first pic.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The dark spot is just where some of the primer rubbed off as I was trying to smooth things out. There's definitely no cracks so I'm just going to build on.

Rule of thumb

When looking at pictures, it is hard to tell if the shop head is proper since it is difficult to accurately measure. However, with a rule of thumb of .5 dia high and 1.5dia wide, the rivets should have a 3:1 aspect ratio. I think this is why someone above implied to check the rivet with a gauge. YMMV

You may be able to mitigate some of the aesthetic with judicious hammering with two bucking bars and a hammer. Hold the bucking bars flat!

Back