What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Completed kit ?

SoCal Flyer

Still pretty new around here. I was wondering how the RF 14 kit builders are doing? Are there any builders to the point where they are waiting for the finishing kit?
Any news on when the finishing kit, and then quick build kits will be available?
Look forward to seeing some pictures of the 14.

No fuselage kits are being shipped yet, but are due to ship very soon. Van's never tells you very far ahead when the next kit will be ready and even if they did they always back that date when it gets close. It will be quite some time in the future for the quick builds.

Fuselage

I see, they have pricing for the fuselage kit up, and I assume they are taking orders, just have not stated shipping? The the finishing kit will follow at some point.
Just trying to get an idea of what the total kit cost will be.

My guess for the price of the four kits is between $32,000-$35,000. I estimate the firewall forward kit that includes cooling baffles, exhaust, oil cooler, hoses, alternator etc. to be at least $6,000 probably a little more. Add a new engine, prop, basic day VFR glass panel, leave out the paint and you are pushing $100k.

Diference in kits

For those who have built other RV kits, is the rv14 kit any diferent? Does it go together any faster/easier then any of the other kits?
It seems like they are advertising this kit as maybe more complete then others. Or maybe the fabrication more complete then Other kits? Am I reading more into that then reality?
Are the kits basically the same as the 9 and 10? (Pre punched)
If anyone could explain any differences, that woud be appreciated
Thanks in advance

I have helped build a -7 and have a friend building a -6. The -14 kit is WAY more complete and advanced than the -7, -8, -9 kits. The build manual/drawings were modeled after the documentation developed for the RV-10, which includes a detail view drawing and step by step instructions for every assembly/build operation. The RV-14 kit is so complete it even comes with pre-built and terminated wiring harnesses! Building a -7 there are lots of stiffener angles and brackets that need to be fabricated from bare aluminum stock which require you to measure, cut, fit and drill. In the -14 kit these type of parts are pre-segmented and notched, and most are also pre-punched. You simply cut and seperate the parts at the notches and file the edges of the parts until they are smooth. This greatly speeds the build process and results in parts that fit correctly the first time around. The -14 is a great kit for a first time builder, for someone who is looking for a kit that goes together really quick, or for the pilot that needs more cockpit room or more robust landing gear.....if you can justify the added expense.

In addition, any parts that don't originate from a different airframe are prepunched to final size. The kit is more like a -12 in that regard. There is some match drilling, but very little.

Since the wing is a mostly a -10 wing - just shortened - it is a lot like the 10, but even here, -14 unique parts are punched to final hole size.

The fuselage kit is pretty much -14 unique parts I think, so it should have a lot of final size punched holes.

The -14 kit (at least the tail kit) is light years ahead of the others!

Things like the AGX wedge used for the trailing edges of the control surfaces are pre punched and the space between the holes is milled out.

The instructions are like the -10 & -12's in that they are assembly instructions and not a builder's manual and a bunch of large drawings. That is a good thing as it will make assembly much easier!

I heard some where that the longerons are pre-bent on the 14. Does anyone know if this is true?

Back