What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior Cold Air Sump

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
I recently bought a Lycoming engine, that is in effect an O-360-A1A engine. (It is actually a YO-360-EXP-51)

It is being set up with an EFII System-32, so it will soon become an IO-360.

I am trying to buy a Superior Cold Air Sump for it, and reached out to Aircraft Spruce to get the correct part#. They answered with "you would need the 08-12105-1 for the angle valve engine".

My problem is that it isn't an angle valve, it is a parallel valve. I tried twice to confirm with Spruce that this was still the correct part number, but I stopped getting email replies from them. I tried calling the person directly and left a voicemail, but again, got no reply. So now 6 weeks later, and I am about to give up.

Can anyone here tell me if that is the right part for a parallel valve 360, or if not, what the correct part# is? Is there someone other than Spruce that I should be getting this from? (I'm in San Diego)

Thanks in advance for any help.

SV78950 Sump Kit. I got mine from aerosportpower, Darren Jones was the guy I dealt with. Good dude. [email protected]

FWIW I have an IO-360B1E, Arrow/Mooney motor. 180hp parallel. Sump is a nice piece of equipment.

Note however, you'll need a special thick gasket for the servo as the studs are super long, why I have no idea. But basically its a phenolic spacer. I didnt know about it prior to buying and it does not come as part of the sump kit, again why, I have no idea. I had to call Superior direct to get the spacer, and as I rem it was $55. Ridiculous for what is actually is. If I'd known, I would have made one myself.....

A huge thumbs up for Aero Sport Power

Mani - Thanks for the information and recommendation. It just worked out perfectly!!!

To everyone else, I have to strongly recommend working with Darren at Aero Sport Power. He is very knowledgeable, and great to work with.

In my case, he is changing out the studs to a shorter length so I won't need a spacer, and including many gaskets that I will need as well. I couldn't have asked for a smoother transaction.

My email from ACS is also the kit mentioned above.

DESCRIPTION: HORIZONTAL COLD AIR INDUCTION SUMP FOR O-360-A4M
LEAD TIME: 2-3
VEND PART NUMBER: SV78950 KIT

Note however, you'll need a special thick gasket for the servo as the studs are super long, why I have no idea. But basically its a phenolic spacer. I didnt know about it prior to buying and it does not come as part of the sump kit, again why, I have no idea. I had to call Superior direct to get the spacer, and as I rem it was $55. Ridiculous for what is actually is. If I'd known, I would have made one myself.....

From an email to Superior's customer service:

"The part number is SL73161 along with a gasket on each side of it and that part number is SL66224. The spacer is .250 inches thick."

Spruce has it for about $45 and the gaskets are about 88c each. I haven't priced out a waterjet cut part yet, but as I don't have access to a mill it might just be better just to buy the thing. By the time I got the tools (especially for cutting a nice circle) and went through two or three iterations I'd probably be right at the same cost.

Edit: Waterjet quotes so far are coming in even higher. I think I'll just buy the part. Even just replacing the studs would come out to $21 or so and a lot of trouble.

Last edited:
Back