What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-10

Hey Paul,

It looks beautiful. Well done... Noticed the subtle touch on the Vertical Stab too. It's new home?

Best wishes,

Richard

"Suggestions for a name welcome - "The Groovy Goose", "The Groovy Mule" .... can't seem to get anything that really fits"

As a nod to Austin Powers - I suggest "Groovy Baby"

Tiny flag

Stunning. Congrats what a feeling. Noticed the little flag in the tail. Long way from "home" boet!
Good luck with the paperwork.
Ex Zimbo. Maybe my 7 will have a little bit of green and white somewhere

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind comments.

Decoration is vinyl. Just had it painted white and added the graphics. There is an SA flag on the right side (the wife being a total yarpie) and a UK on the left. It will eventually end up in SA where we intend to retire to our new home. Still trying to decide whether to fly it down or container it. Flying would be awesome and there is a company called prepare2go which runs regular light aircraft safaris from Europe to SA. However, expensive :eek: and a bit worried about the North Africa security situation :eek::eek:.....

Richard - how's the -8 coming on?

As for the name, I think I'll go with Mike's suggestion of just "Groovy".

I don't know why everyone else went with "Groovy"....first thing that came to my mind was "Gravy"....just hungry I guess. How about "Gravy Train" ("Gravy Plane" makes more sense though)

So after 8 1/2 years, it finally happened on Thursday:

..... and, of course, the inevitable RV grin!

Thanks to my wife Janet for her understanding and not saying "You love that aeroplane more than me" too often. To my rivet buddy Mal who would always be there to help when needed. The rest of his spare time he spends on vintage steam trains! To my LAA inspector, Phil, for his advice and guidance. And last but not least to all of you on VansAirForce who have helped out with answers and support over the years.

I now have about 6 hours on her and hope to do the final Flight Test Check tomorrow. Touch wood, amazingly snag free so far and, I have to say "What a ride...!!"

And I need to change my signature block :D

Congratulations!!

Paul, big congrats on the new fledgling.

Methinks your grinning face might show up on the front page soon.....

So, you have a rather short flyoff period-------(at least seems short to us colonials who are used to either 25 or 40 hours)-------only 6 hours and final check tomorrow???

Minimum 5 hours, one flight of at least 2 hours and 15 landings - that's the "shake-down". Then, if all is well and she's ready, you can go for the full flight test schedule. Probably be close to 10 hours for me but it's been almost snag free (so far ;)) - all depends......

The plane looks great! -- and you look pretty jazzed. Did you ever decide what you were going to call her?

==dave==
N102FM

Rodney,

I saw your '10 at Oshkosh. Breathtaking paint work. Just amazing.

Congrats on a great looking airplane!

Incredible

Took lots of photos to show friends. Everyone is blown away at the theme and quality of paint job. Gorgeous.

Thanks

Thank you all for the nice comments... If you know anyone that got a shot of the bottom banner during the Home built review flight I'd love to have one. Saw a lot of long lenses on cameras so there has to be one out there. Thanks again... God Bless our Troops!!!

As is often said, they are never done, but with one year and 115 hours, I'll post a photo here. Fresh out of the paint shop:

Matt Griggs and crew at Griggs Aircraft Paint, Skyhaven Airport, Tuckhannock, PA, did a great job, and were a pleasure to work with. Thanks to Brian Steeves for inspiration on the scheme. This is a simple and light RV-10, and the performance numbers continue to exceed expectations.

Andy

Last edited:
Great scheme and colors. I like the way you did the numbers. Mine is on page 34 with different colors and embedded numbers. Brian definitely came up with a winner to match paint with airframe.

Andy, it was a pleasure working with you and had a great time painting your airplane. We are honored you selected us to paint your RV and took pleasure in putting the attention to detail in the finish that you put into your build! Enjoy your bird and stop in anytime for lunch!

Chris Murley
Griggs Aircraft

Now that it's done...

Been done and flying for a while. But it's an honor to finally be able to post here...

blogger-image--1837489621.jpg

Great job!

Impeccable workmanship and a job very well done. I loved seeing the photo on your site with Ayla helping with goggles equipped. Now lets hear some trip reports! :)

Hello #MissWhiskeyDelta

Well.... I can finally post in this thread... I guess that's the goal right?
So here she is... Truth is, she's been done for a while. We flew to KOSH, but the graphics weren't 100% complete. And we finally had a chance to take some real pictures.
She has affectionately become know as "Miss Whiskey Delta"... #misswhiskeydelta

So, the plane was painted, then all the graphics were done in vinyl. I specifically asked for a lightweight paint job. The Paint is AKzo Nobel, the Silver and black are paint the rest is vinyl... all said and done we only added 16lbs to the airframe with paint and graphics...

2qwkex0.jpg

2mwbaq0.jpg

2ln7jid.jpg

be74o.jpg

jiyzgx.jpg

2ahbl9j.jpg

1611do3.jpg

Really happy with the outcome. It's a super fun plane to fly. Still learning the avionics getting comfortable shooting approaches, but it's coming together. I'm getting slightly above the published numbers. I'm pretty impressed on how fast I can go in economy cruise @ 2200x20" 155KTAS or more....
The engine is SOOO smooth, it's like a turbine. it's ridiculous. Even on shut down, it doesn't shake like wet dog. It just stops.
Full EFII Set up, runs great. Can't say enough good things about it. The engine starts like a car. I'm still working on getting my fuel mapping dialed in so it's completely hands off, but that's only because I've been too busy flying to stop and take notes and change some settings.... One afternoon and I will be done with it.

The list of people and companies to thank is long...

It would not have happened if my father-in-law, Shayne hadn't gotten a wild hair and convinced me we could do this at Oshkosh 2013.... His 4th plane and now he's finishing a 9 as well.

Robert @ EFII... Simply phenomenal product and customer support, the wealth of knowledge there is unreal. I've learned a ton about engines along the way.
Allen and Rhonda @ Barrett... Truly a pleasure to work with and now have become friends... (Allen, I'm picking you up over Thanksgiving to go for a flight!!!)
Stein and his guys @ Stein Air. Did an amazing job and helped a lot along the way.
Zac and Geoff @ Aerosport, Great help with some custom and one off items.. I think I bought their entire menu....
Andrew, Lucas and Zak @ Tru Track.... Tons of help for an autopilot clueless builder (me)...
Bryan @ Showplanes... always answers the phone and knows the answer to the question.
And of course, Modern Image here in San Diego for the vinyl work.... Truly pro work!!! and this was their first plane... They usually just mess around with Ferraris, and Lamborghinis...

Last edited:
Congratulations!!

John, big congrats on reaching this milestone.

Absolutely love the Show Planes cowl, rest of the plane is very nice too.

Hula girl------:D:D:D

Looking good, John!

I like the paint scheme a lot. It is very similar to the colors I've been wanting on my 10, although that's a ways off, for me.

The chrome strips, are they vinyl too?

Hi John,

I saw your aircraft at Oshkosh.

Looking good,I like the Baja's in the wing tips.

The Show Planes cowl looks great,any feed back on it ?

Cheers,

Thanks guys. Really happy with how it came out.

The chrome strips, are they vinyl too?

Yes they are... it's very difficult material to work with and takes some real planning.

The Show Planes cowl looks great,any feed back on it ?

Cheers,

I really like it. Bryan is a great resource. The only issue is fitting the intake manifold with the cowl. It's a time consuming process to get it right.

Wow

Very nice. Raising the bar again. I'd say that MT propeller is one of the major contributing factors to your smooth running engine. These MTs are amazing. Put a two blade on my 182 and words cannot even describe the improvement over the McCauley. Way quieter too. Nice plane

Well.... I can finally post in this thread... I guess that's the goal right?....

.... And of course, Modern Image here in San Diego for the vinyl work.... Truly pro work!!! and this was their first plane... They usually just mess around with Ferraris, and Lamborghinis...

Awesome looking plane! However, with a name like Johnny Walker shouldn't it be painted red? :p Johnny Walker Red... think about it... :D

Yessir. I picked it up last April from San Diego. The previous owner had several airplanes and was selling them all because he felt it was time. The folks on this board helped me locate it.

Back