What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV10 Cowling Heat Shield

X747

I have experienced blistering on the interior of the lower cowling from the exhaust stacks. Any suggestions for a permanent fix.

Vans has a heat shield product that is designed for this.

Adhesive backed alum foil.

Big thing is to get the inner cowl surface clean, and smooth. A wet coat of epoxy brushed on is a good way to do it. Sand as needed, roll on foil.

Big thing is to get the inner cowl surface clean, and smooth. A wet coat of epoxy brushed on is a good way to do it. Sand as needed, roll on foil.

And then seal the edges with a narrow brushed coat of epoxy or red RTV.

Just did this... hope it works, used aluminum tape on the edges as well.

For maximum protection, you can use fiberfrax and top it off with the aluminum foil. I had used this in my lower cowl and was amazing how cool the bottom cowl felt to touch even after just shut down of the engine.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...MIyuXfw8CY2wIVyR6GCh2l5wOqEAQYASABEgLn__D_BwE

If the pipe is really close, the mechanical heat shield on the pipe may hit, mine did. I turned to this method, it is recommended. Kinda like a bandaid, but sealed around the full perimeter.

I used simple foil tape on the lower cowl interior to reflect heat on my 6A. In close vicinity to the exhaust pipes themselves I used the heat reflective material that I used on the firewall (thermocool, I believe - It is a layer of reflective foil with a layer of fiberglass + adhesive). In other areas, I used a good qualilty (read: thicker than the cheap stuff) aluminum tape. My exhaust gets very close to the cowl and have had no heat related paint issues on my cowl in 500 hours. I extended the foil to cover any area within 6" of linear distance from any exhaust pipe.

Larry

Last edited:
ACS adhesive backed insulation

35597784014_142f9cbe1c_c.jpg
[/url]photo 1 by Bill Peyton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
i also highly recommend getting some teflon tape, and lining the sections where the baffling material rubs against the cowl, you will be amazed at the reduced vibrations transmitted to the airframe

i also highly recommend getting some teflon tape, and lining the sections where the baffling material rubs against the cowl, you will be amazed at the reduced vibrations transmitted to the airframe

Can you clarify? I have to assume that you are not referring to teflon thread sealing tape here, but some sort of adhesive backed PTFE film?

ACS adhesive backed insulation

35597784014_142f9cbe1c_c.jpg
[/url]photo 1 by Bill Peyton, on Flickr[/IMG]
We did this to our airplanes as well when we experienced the heat damage to
the cowls. We have a very improved upon heat shield system that would have
prevented the original damage, and saved us countless hours of work and repairs.
We will have this product up and available on our website in a couple of weeks.
We also have a video that explains how the system works and some
of he advantages it offers.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7257q68zVCg
We have tried all of the other heatshields offered and unfortunately were
disappointed due to cracking or their lack of versatility. Have a look at our new
heat shields product, and let us know what you think!
Thanks, Allan...:D

Back