What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extras needed beyond the actual kit

JwWright57

Well Known Member
hi all newbie question(s);

Are extra oopps rivets needed? How many and what kinds?
Extra AN bolts needed?

any extra hardware you've found yourself buying.....

thanks all!

All AN hardware is included in the kit. Unless you lose something, you shouldn?t need to buy extra. That said, I have some extra bolts in the more common sizes that I sometimes use for test fitting, just to prevent the stuff I?ll use for final assembly from getting too scratched up or damaged.

I also have some non-locking nuts I sometimes use for trial fitting. You don?t want to be using the elastic stop nuts too many times, or they won?t hold as tightly as they will when they are new.

Oops rivets aren?t included. Since most of the rivets in the -12 are pulled rivets, you probably won?t need Oops rivets. Oops rivets are for replacing an occasional flush-head solid rivet that you might mess up when riveting skins. In the -12, the skins are attached with pulled rivets.

In the places where you use solid flush-head rivets, you?ll be using a squeezer, not a rivet gun, which also minimizes your chances for needing oops rivets. Finally, most of the solid rivets in the -12 are AN-470 (universal head) rivets. If you goof these up, you can?t replace them with an Oops rivet. You can carefully drill out the rivet and try squeezing it again, or buy new parts. In some cases, you might be able to use the next size larger rivet, but it depends on location, edge distance, etc.

NAS1097 (commonly called oops rivets) are optionally allowed for installing nut plates which avoids having to dimple for the normal AN426 rivets by just doing a shallow machine countersink. They are not included in the standard kit though.

0.02 lbs of 3-3 and 3-3.5 would probably easily last through an RV-12 project.

lol, by oopps rivets I mean "oops I messed that up now I need to drill it out and replace it with another one from the bag." That's followed by "dang am I going to need to buy more of these now?". Are the rivets supplied with the kits enough for the random do over?

Also, I bought the Cleveland tool set which came with 125 1/8 clecos. Is that going to be enough for the really big parts like wings and fuse? Should I order more of them?

Also, am I going to need an edge break tool of some kind to put the little lip on the skins where they overlap?

Also, am I going to need an edge break tool of some kind to put the little lip on the skins where they overlap?

The tool makes it a whole lot easier but I did mine with the slotted piece of wood like Van's suggests. Takes more time but worked fine.

Van's has a good list of most of the tools you will need but are always more tools that you may want just to make things easier.

You will need various abrasives - some for power tools others that you use by hand. Depending on how much priming you choose to do, you will need painting supplies and paint. Your will also use various sealants - RTV, Proseal, etc.

If you're trying to put together a budget, add some money for replacement parts - you will definitely make some mistakes along the way that will require you to buy replacement parts.

I bought an oops rivet kit and never used a single one! Bought lots of other extra stuff that I did use though.

I added the break at the fuselage skin edges by laying the shin panel on my work table with the edge hanging about a half inch off the table and rubbed a wood block back and forth at the edge to give it the break. Works great and easy to control how much break you put in.

Back