VAF #582-----------------EAA LIFETIME MEMBER
EX -KC-135A -------------BOOM OPERATOR #3633
VAN'S FLIGHT------------#6930

See you in OSHKOSH

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ley&project=84

=VAF= 2006-2018 DUES PAID
Old 03-20-2017, 06:18 AM

Smile GOOD JOB!

Good thing you didn't bump into Jesse Pinkman's motorhome out there in the desert!
Just kidding, great job, glad all are OK!
RV-6 - ...one day...
Old 03-20-2017, 06:41 AM

Default Nice work!

Way to handle an unpleasant situation!
Old 03-21-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Brenden View Post
I was providing ATC flight following to this pilot when his emergency happened. He did a great job of communicating his situation and obviously of making an engine out landing safely. I was VERY VERY relieved when I heard he was safely on the ground. Good job!
Craig, Thanks for the assistance. That was a call I've never wanted to make, but you were a huge help in keeping my adrenaline level down. Your wind direction in the area information was priceless.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:18 AM

Default The Story

Bill, glad you got down safely - any idea what happened yet? Thanks!
Old 03-21-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Anton View Post
Craig, Thanks for the assistance. That was a call I've never wanted to make, but you were a huge help in keeping my adrenaline level down. Your wind direction in the area information was priceless.
Great job flying the airplane Bill, and it sure is a fine looking RV-8.
Glad you and your wife are ok.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2018 This place is worth it!
Old 03-21-2017, 07:46 AM

I'm the guy that this thread is about. I've never made an engine out landing in 42 years of flying. However, some days it's better to be lucky than good. Flying from Western Kansas that morning to Tucson for our son's Air Force retirement ceremony (F16 pilot). Refueled in Truth or Consequences and headed west over some very rugged mountain country. We were northwest of Lordsburg NM when I contacted Albuquerque Center (see Craig Brenden's post) for flight following so he could hand me off to Tucson International's approach control. Probably 5-10 minutes later the oil temp started increasing and at the same time oil pressure started decreasing. I talked to Center and advised him of my situation letting him know I was going to get it down as soon as possible. I was looking for an airport close to get to (Wilcox was about 30 miles in front of me) when the oil ran out. Something let loose in the engine, which was obvious with the extreme vibration and I immediately shut off the ignition and pulled the throttle. I pulled the nose up to decrease my airspeed to get the prop to stop windmilling. Never thought I would be thankful to have an engine stop. At that point we're a glider (I do have a glider rating) and I'm looking for a place to put it down. I10 was directly under us and not a good place to go. Just south looked like some vineyards with farm roads. Some had power lines but as I got closer saw one road (I say road but this was merely a farm road between two fields that the farmer had graded) maybe 1/2 mile long with no power lines approximately into the wind. I flew a pattern over the road and lined up with it on a final approach (no go around in a glider). As I touched down I noticed a 4 wheeler in the road maybe a quarter mile in front of me facing the opposite direction obviously unaware an airplane was approaching at 70 kts. I steered over to another adjacent parallel road to get it slowed down and stopped.

I'm writing this long winded story to let you know a couple of things. First, this incident didn't happen because this is and amateur built aircraft. It took me 8 years to build, 1st flight was July 1, 2006. The RV8 has over 700 hours on it. The engine is a Lycoming IO360 that was a rebuilt 0 time engine when I installed during the build. Second, it reinforces some of the cross country principles we all learn. 1) Altitude is your friend, esp in rough country. 2) Always be looking for a suitable landing place, esp in rough country. 3)Keep up your flying skills (study & practice engine out landings - that doesn't mean shutting down the engine, but merely pulling the throttle to idle) 4) It doesn't hurt to get some glider training (besides it's great fun). Thanks to the Cochise County sheriff and SAR people who showed up and assisted us.

Next project is to pull off the wings, load everything on a trailer and get it home to assess the solution to getting back in the air.

Last edited by Bill Anton : 03-31-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Anton View Post
I'm the guy that this thread is about. I've never made an engine out landing in 42 years of flying. However, some days it's better to be lucky than good. Flying from Western Kansas that morning to Tucson for our son's Air Force retirement ceremony (F16 pilot). Refueled in Truth or Consequences and headed west over some very rugged mountain country. We were northwest of Lordsburg NM when I contacted Albuquerque Center (see Craig Brenden's post) for flight following so he could hand me of to Tucson International's approach control. Probably 5-10 minutes later the oil temp started increasing and at the same time oil pressure started decreasing. I talked to Center and advised him of my situation letting him know I was going to get it down as soon as possible. I was looking for a airport close to get to (Wilcox was about 30 miles in front of me) when the oil ran out. Something let loose in the engine, which was obvious with the extreme vibration, and I immediately shut off the ignition and pulled the throttle. I pulled the nose up to decrease my airspeed to get the prop to stop windmilling. Never thought I would be thankful to have an engine stop. At that point we're a glider (I do have a glider rating) and I'm looking for a place to put it down. I10 was directly under us and not a good place to go. Just south looked like some vineyards with farm roads. Some had power lines which but as I got closer saw one road (I say road but this was merely a farm road between two field that the farmer had graded) maybe 1/2 mile long with no power lines approximately into the wind. I flew a pattern over the road and lined up with it on a final approach (no go around in a glider). As I touched down I noticed a 4 wheeler in the road maybe a quarter mile in front of me facing the opposite direction obviously unaware an airplane was approaching at 70 kts. I steered over to another adjacent parallel road to get it slowed down and stopped.

I'm writing this long winded story to let you know a couple of things. First, this incident didn't happen because this was and amateur built aircraft. It took me 8 years to build, 1st flight was July 1, 2006. The RV8 has over 700 hours on it. The engine is a Lycoming IO360 that was a rebuilt 0 time engine when I installed during the build. Second, it reinforces some of the cross country principles we all learn. 1) Altitude is you friend, esp in rough country. 2) Always be looking for a suitable landing place, esp in rough country. 3)Keep up you flying skills (study & practice engine out landings) 4) It doesn't hurt to get some glider training (besides it great fun). Thanks to the Cochise County sheriff and SAR people who showed up and assisted us.

Next project is to pull off the wings, load everything on a trailer and get it home to assess the solution to getting back in the air.
thanks for sharing, glad you are safe and great ideas for us newbies etc..
N517NC ( reserved)
Dues Paid
NOV 2016
July 2017
Dec 2017
Old 03-21-2017, 08:19 AM

"However, some days it's better to be lucky than good."

Don't sell yourself short Bill, you did a great job!
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2018 This place is worth it!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:22 PM

Good to hear, Bill, and glad you found a safe landing spot. Hope all goes well in transporting home and hope to catch you out west sometime.