Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-19-2017, 03:41 AM

Default Auto pilot

Hi all,

Im currently looking at future mods for my 4 and want to install a 2 axis ap. Im looking at the tru trak gemini. Can anyone give any insite into these or any other auto pilots for rv4s.

Thanks

James
Australia
Old 01-19-2017, 06:21 AM

Hello James,

You might want to consider a Garmin G5 based autopilot for your RV-4.

Yes, the separate components cost a bit more, but they also offer so much more. There is absolutely no better autopilot ergonomics available than the GMC 307 which provides dedicated buttons and knobs for all the important functions.

It really is better to not have the attitude and air data sensors buried in an autopilot box with no ability for the pilot to see what the autopilot believes to be the pitch/roll/vertical speed/altitude/airspeed/etc. With the G5 you always see the attitude and air data information that is being used by the autopilot to fly the plane.

Additionally, you have a flight director that can be turned on with the FD button should you wish to hand fly the plane using this guidance with the autopilot servos disengaged. If you are hand flying using the flight director and want to turn the plane back over to the autopilot, just press the AP button. It doesn't get any easier.

If you install a second G5 instrument, and the primary G5 fails, you still get to fly home with the autopilot since the second G5 will take over and provide the autopilot function when it goes into backup reversion and becomes the primary flight instrument.

Let us know if you have questions.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 01-19-2017 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Added info about second G5
Old 01-19-2017, 06:29 AM

I installed the exact setup as above except with dual G5's and a 795 in an RV6, owner loves it! I've also done a few G3X panel upgrades on the RV4, AP works like a dream in the 4.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 01-19-2017, 07:39 AM

James, if you have any questions about the Gemini, please let me know! You can also reach me directly by email at lucas@trutrakap.com.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:09 AM

Default trutrak in my 4

Hi James,
I have a Trutrak Efis and their 2 axis autopilot in my 4. Works like a charm.
Their support is outstanding.
Mark
0 360 A1A Ellison throttle body
PMags
Trutrak Efis
Catto 3 Blade
FLYING
Old 01-20-2017, 06:49 AM

Default We shall see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle231 View Post
Hi all,

Im currently looking at future mods for my 4 and want to install a 2 axis ap. Im looking at the tru trak gemini. Can anyone give any insite into these or any other auto pilots for rv4s.

Thanks

James
Australia
Planning on installing one next week. Will let you know what I think. Part of my reason for choosing it was that I am just editing my panel. Not a full, redesign.
My current autopilot is single axis Trio EZ-Pilot in round dial form. It does what it is supposed to do perfectly. I want pitch and approach coupling. I think the mini efis in the Gemini is a nice added attraction. Also adding a GTN 650, GTX 330ES to become ADS-B compliant, and a GMA 245 audio panel.

I'll put it through it's paces and leave a critique here. The one think that I have seen a few folks give negatives about is the one, toggle knob, that does everything. They say it can be tough to make selections in turbulent air. I am hoping I can master it with little stress.

Jeff
Old 01-20-2017, 09:41 AM

Blackbeard10,
About how much does it cost?
Daddyman