What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much paint

Dune

After using the search function and not finding the answer, here's the question:

How much paint do I need to buy for a -7?

Details:

Single stage PPG Concept (Automotive 2 part) This is what I used on the interior.
The whole airplane will be painted with this one color. I want to have enough for 2 light coats.

Question is for the paint only; no primer, reducer or hardener. I need to start on a few small parts and want to have the mix done in one batch one time.

My buddy says he used 2 gallons on his -6; that seemed like it was too much hence my posting the question here.

Thanks.

Dune Lorant
RV-7
Montgomery TX

Last edited:
Painting RV7

I painted my 7A this last year, myself, and I thought I used about 5 gallons. (Not including all the primers, activators, accelerators, hardeners, etc. But I used three colors and had left over. And I sent a lot up into the filters of the paint booth. I didn't thin, except for what the TDS said to do. And I put on a couple or three wet coats. One color was blue and that took a lot of paint to cover. I used single stage urethane by Dupont called NASON which is a car paint, but you can buy it locally. 2 gallons sounds like enough to do the wings.

My RV7 was completely etch primed before painting.

I then used a two pack polyurethane, 3 different colours.

The aircraft was painted with three light coats of each colour and I used approximately 7 liters or 1.8 gallons.

This is a recent photo, now 4 years on and 560hrs

https://postimg.org/image/epklj4t1n/

Cheers

Last edited:
I used 2.5 gal white and .5 gal blue. Total 3 gallons. Two wet coats is the best approach using PPG Concept if no buffing is planned in my opinion.

Back