What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank leak

dweyant

Well Known Member
I have developed a leak in both tanks over the last month :(

I'm thinking I need to pull the tanks and do the access panel method to repair them.

I can't seem to find the thread that details how to do that, and the part numbers for the access panel covers.

Can someone point me in the correct direction?

Also, is there a trick to getting to some of the bolts that hold the tank on? I had to pull a tank early on, and getting to some of those bolts really stunk.

Thanks!

-Dan

Ha, thanks Mike for posting. Keeps me from retyping everything.

As for the access to those bolts. Well, there is no easy answer for getting to them. The skinny arm wins here, and no, I don't have skinny arms! What works for me is a couple of small 1/4" ratchets. I have one that is about 2" long that is handy in this situation. However, the one that worked best for me in most of the situations was a 1/4" wheel ratchet I bought at a local tool supply store. This allowed me to have the ratchet in the palm of my hand as I reached through the access holes of the wing ribs. Having the ratchet in the palm gives you the torque and control you need while reaching up into that space.

Good luck with your fix. As I stated in the post Mike referred to, the patch kit is absolutely the only way I was able to fix my leaks.

Thanks guys.

I just ordered some fresh proseal (yuck) and ten of the repair kits (right? five bays each times two tanks).

Fortunately the leaks are small so the plane is still airworthy. I'll work on the repair as/when the weather is too bad to fly over the next couple months

-Dan

Leaks

Might add a couple of suggestions based on experience. Take the tank off and use the balloon method to locate the leak. Once found ,clean the area entirely! Mix the proseal....I use a pop sickle stick in a drill for 30 minutes or so. The last one I sealed for a guy was still sticky after several years.....I suspect it either wasn't mixed well or the shelf date was long overdue. Apply the proseal in a warm area.....I brought the last tank home and stunk the house up a bit to let it cure. We had leaks redevelope at USAir because guys weren't letting it cure before adding fuel ....same with avgas in our birds. Put the balloon back on and leak check it again after it cures to verify the leak is fixed. Doing a 8 tank for a guy this week.....this one too has tacky sealant fron 10 years ago. You might not need to access the inside if the tank if it's on the perimeter seam

Bolt access

To get to those stubborn tank bolts on my -8 I disconnected the aileron push tube and moved it outboard as far as I could. That gave me considerably more room.

Back