What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron trim wiring route question??

charosenz

Well Known Member
I am debating on the best route for the Aileron trim wiring.

Below should be a pic. One option is the where there is a green circle. This is slightly easier for the wiring to exit the Aileron. Then there is the blue circle area.

I would appreciate hearing from folks who have actually wired up an Aileron Trim to hear what worked best for them.

oq1.jpg

Thanks!

Here's how I did mine

You might as well keep it forward but it doesn't really matter.

FP21042013A0000R.jpg

I wasn't happy with the wire clearances when coming out towards the tip, so I made a small slot in the leading edge of the aileron spar and ran it into the wing from there. The slot is so close to the end of the spar that there aren't any structural issues.

RV3flyer

Thanks for the information. The only issue that I see is that I wanted to have it so I could remove the aileron from the wing with the wiring and connector still attached. So if it went in to the wing as you describe, the hole would have to be as big as the wiring connector. with 5 wires, even the UMNL micro connector is 1/2" or so.... I am probably over thinking this since the removal of the aileron is rare, but that is/was my thought.

I did route it through the blue hole over to inside the wing tip. Even though it has a bit more movement where the wire exits, I think it will be fine, and it is easily removed by just disconnecting the wire at the connector which is inside the wing tip.

Hope that makes sense.

RV3flyer

Thanks for the information. The only issue that I see is that I wanted to have it so I could remove the aileron from the wing with the wiring and connector still attached. So if it went in to the wing as you describe, the hole would have to be as big as the wiring connector. with 5 wires, even the UMNL micro connector is 1/2" or so.... I am probably over thinking this since the removal of the aileron is rare, but that is/was my thought.

I did route it through the blue hole over to inside the wing tip. Even though it has a bit more movement where the wire exits, I think it will be fine, and it is easily removed by just disconnecting the wire at the connector which is inside the wing tip.

Hope that makes sense.

I also wanted to have the aileron removable, without a large slot. So, I just fed the wires through the small slot one at a time, maybe 3/16" wide, and didn't use a connector. Instead, I connected the wires with male/female pins, and covered them with shrink wrap.

In either case, both solutions will do the trick. The beauty of homebuilt airplanes!

Back