What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to place the balance weight?

swisseagle

Well Known Member
Hello

I just was wondering, where should I place a balance weight?

My Vans Spinner Backplate does not have holes to place the balance-weight. Is it ok to make a circle of holes, prior mounting?
That way I would be ready to install weights if needed. And I do not think it harm the integrity of the back plate.
IMG_3800.JPG

Or can I use these holes:
IMG_3801.JPG

But these are AN4, so maybe a bit heavy to correct small amounts. Can I install two screw's opposit each other and only place a washer on one additionaly. Would that be ok?

Or what are you doing if there are no holes around ...

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
The flywheel locations work well. Verify the bolts don't interfere with any aspect of cowl, alt belt or starter though.

Spinner back plate holes will work also but there could be some low risk of cracking over time.

I use the flywheel holes when available, the spinner bulkhead is an acceptable location as well but I prefer not to drill holes if possible.

The main problem with spinner backplate is that you need to have the spinner off to balance. In the case where 5-10grams is needed, the spinner has enough "play" upon re installation that you can throw off your balance. Ring gear with bolt head on aft side works best for me.

Back