What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CHEAP SEATS

socal

HAS ANYONE ORDERED THE FOAM (FROM AIRCRAFT SPRUCE OR ?) FOR THE SEATS IN AN RV AND CUT OR MADE YOURSELF ???

I don't know what you consider cheap but I bought my foam from Jim & Janice Fix who I see every year at Copperstate.

Back in 1998, foam for our RV-6A was about $200 for both seats which I then glued/cut/formed and had upholstered for another $300.

After 2400+ hours of sitting in those seats, they are just as comfortable as the first time I sat in them, no regrets whatsoever. Here's my original drawing of how I made our seats using the 3 densities (colored pink/blue/green) of foam .

I know there are many other fine vendors out there to buy from and many different ways to make seats so good luck in deciding ;) Rosie

Me too

I also bought my foam from the Fix's and layered three plies of firm, meduim and soft NASA (Temperfoam). I glued them up and sculpted with a sanding disk. This made it possible to sculpt them to my back and legs, as well as my wife's frame. They are the most comfortable plane seats I've ever sat in. If someone is selling you pre cut seats, they 've got to cover their labor and will not put the care and materials into it. besides, a pre cut seat will be a compromise of everyone's butt out there, not yours. To me, the seats are an integral part of the man/machine interface. You build the machine, so why not spend some time on making the seats comfortable and a joy to sit in? Sure, it'll take you a few hours, but the results are worth it, expecially if you like to fly long hauls.

Foam was approx $200, then I took it over to a local hot rod car guy who covered them in the aviation fabric I provided. He charged around $300.

Art in Asheville.

cheapest seats!

My father-in-law purchased two tractor seats from Atwoods http://www.atwoods.com/ for his 6.
He whacked a notch out of the front for stick clearance and has been flying with that setup for a couple of years.
Not pretty but surprisingly comfortable.
$10 apiece!

Not suggesting anyone else try it, just pointing out a very low cost data point! :D

Back