- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2018, 03:38 PM

Default Elevator tip assembly skin question

Page 9-08. Step2. I have the elevator built and the bottom skin on,and I have to cleco a tip assembly on. The tip assembly has that little counterbalance skin on it, and the skins occupy the same physical space. Is that normal? Do I put one under the other? If so, which one goes inside and which goes outside? Is the bottom skin outside, or is the counterbalance skin outside?
Old 09-10-2018, 04:07 PM

I suppose you’re building s 14. The counter balance skin will be underneath. Follow the steps very closely in the rivet steps. Easy to get ahead of yourself here. Ask me how I know! Tom
Old 09-10-2018, 09:26 PM

I believe this is addressed in the annotated plans in the link below. Posted by HAL pilot and is very helpful.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xu5p6f4l7...bU0ck0pJa?dl=0

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrenAir View Post
Page 9-08. Step2. I have the elevator built and the bottom skin on,and I have to cleco a tip assembly on. The tip assembly has that little counterbalance skin on it, and the skins occupy the same physical space. Is that normal? Do I put one under the other? If so, which one goes inside and which goes outside? Is the bottom skin outside, or is the counterbalance skin outside?
I was at this same place a couple of weeks ago and had the same question. After studying the plans, I saw that on page 09-08, Figure 3 shows the top skin placed on top of the counterbalance skin. Figure 2 shows the same thing for the bottom skin, but isn't as clear where the counterbalance skin is placed WRT the lower skin. I reasoned that the upper and lower skin WRT the counterbalance skin would be the same.

To confirm, I called Vans builder support and they verified my assumption was correct.

A couple of days later I ran across this note on page 09-22 between steps 1 and 2: "NOTE: The E-913 Counterbalance Skins lie underneath the skins."
RV-14A Kit#140433, N393AJ Reserved
Completed: Vertical Stab/Horizontal Stab
Scrapped: Rudder
Working on: Empennage (Elevator)
Construction log - mykitlog.com/ajackson
Dues paid on 10 October 2018
Member of EAA Chapter 92 (KCNO)
Pet peeve: "Lose" is the opposite of "find". "Loose" means "not tight".
Old 09-11-2018, 11:11 AM

I was looking at both the Vans Rv14s at oshkosh. Both elevator counterbalance skins were done different. The taildragger was done correctly with counterbalance skin underneath and the A model was over the top. Pointed it out to the guys and they said probably either way is fine. Glad I did mine per the instructions. Think it looks nicer.
N617CT Reserved
Dues paid 2018