What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ammeter Problems

jessebiltz

I'm New Here
Hey everyone. I bought an RV 7 in January of this year. Before the flight home the ammeter was spiking in the red around 45 to 65. We ended up tightening the alternator belt and didn't have a problem with it until last week. It started spiking positive again. I tighten the belt again and then it started under spiking in the red. Now it's consistently -2 to -8 while running at cruise. Yesterday it started spiking over again around +45 out of nowhere. They only last for a few seconds and then it regulates. Battery shows a consistent 13.8-14.2 charge. I realize the belt shouldn't have an effect but that seems too coincidental to not be part of the problem. Wondering if any of you have experience in a failing voltage regulator or a failing alternator. All connections seem to be good. Running out of ideas. Thanks so much for any input.

B&C Alternator
Dynon Glass

With the voltage remaining steady and only the amps showing deviation, it might be related to the ammeter shunt connections. Make sure the screws are tight and tug on the wire going into the connectors to be sure they are not loose. If this is it you are lucky, but it is a place to start.

Understanding what wiring scheme is being used would be helpful in determining if a discharged battery is demanding more amperage, It would typically only happen right after start and then diminish as the battery charged. A lead acid battery is assumed.

Did you get a pre-purchase inspection from an RV expert prior to purchase? If so, then anything big and obvious should have been identified already.

Here is a link to the B&C troubleshooting downloads. They should be a good reference for you.

Did you set the belt tension per the instructions? i.e. static torque to slip the belt? Typically, if the belt is loose, it will slip at times and allow the voltage to drop but will not drop the amps. I can not imagine how it would increase amps as amperage is a result of power demand loads. The regulator is for voltage alone. Just a coincidence.

Last edited:
Back