What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh 2016 Trip Write-up

bullojm1

Well Known Member
Holy cow, I can't believe it's already that time of year for Oshkosh! This year presented some unique challenges from last year. My best friend was getting married the week prior to Oshkosh (Thankfully it wasn't the same week...I might of skipped the wedding). Normally a wedding isn't a big deal, nor a big time commitment, but my friend decided to get married in Belize. So for the 8 days prior to Oshkosh, I was in paradise with my best friends and family. The way back from Belize offered no margin for airline or weather error. The flight arrived at 10pm, I would be at my home at 11pm, wash clothes, pack, sleep by 1am, and then up bright and early for blast-off to Oshkosh! I rolled out of my driveway a little before 6am.
DSCN5329.JPG

This years haul to Oshkosh.
DSCN5330.JPG

All packed up and ready for the adventure to begin.
DSCN5331.JPG

The routing I take out to Oshkosh is the same as I always do - scoot south of KPIT's airspace, swing above Fort Wayne, stop for cheap fuel at KOXI (Free hot dogs), then blast up Lake Michigan and up to Oshkosh.
DSCN5332.JPG

The day started off easy enough. Nice VFR out east.
DSCN5333.JPG

I'm pretty psyched.
DSCN5334.JPG

The fog was burning off in the valleys of central PA.
DSCN5335.JPG

A good reason why you shouldn't always trust METAR's. KAFJ (Washington County) was reporting Low IFR. It boggled my mind since it was severely VFR about 10 miles from it.
DSCN5336.JPG

Sure enough, over KAFJ, severely clear.
DSCN5337.JPG

Crossing the OH river.
DSCN5338.JPG

Day 1 (continued)

I'm not complaining I only have a 3 kts head wind heading west.
DSCN5339.JPG

In eastern OH the weather continued to be severe VFR.
DSCN5340.JPG

The storm moving through Northern Indiana progressed south a little over Fort Wayne. I normally go north around KFWA, but I diverted south of their airspace to avoid the weather.
DSCN5341.JPG

The headwinds kicked up slightly to 12 kts at 4500'.
DSCN5342.JPG

I'm really digging ADS-B radar being depicted on my GRT Sport EFIS's from the NavWorx AD600-EXP Transceiver. What other EFIS purchased in 2008 could do this? Love my GRT!
DSCN5343.JPG

ADS-B radar was spot on, as I entered into some light rain showers.
DSCN5344.JPG

The weather continued to deteriorate to MVFR the closer I got to KOXI.
DSCN5345.JPG

After a quick fuel stop and grabbing some hot dogs, I jumped back in the air. The ramp at KOXI was full of Oshkosh bound airplanes. I knew all of them were waiting for the weather to improve in WI before they took off. I didn't want to be bunched with them going north, and I had a good idea in the 1.5 hour flight to Oshkosh the weather would be likely improving. Worst case, I would stop shy of OSH.
DSCN5346.JPG

I love flying by Chicago. Such good sights.
DSCN5347.JPG

DSCN5348.JPG

Day 1 (continued)

Booyah! A couple of kts of tailwind made an appearance.
DSCN5349.JPG

The ceiling was about 2,000' AGL as I approached OSH. The good thing about this was everyone else was flying right below the deck, at the same altitude. This made it quite easy to spot everyone converging on RIPON.
DSCN5350.JPG

The arrival was quite painless this year. I landed a little before noon.
DSCN5351.JPG

It isn't quite Oshkosh until your oil temps are SCREAMIN'!
DSCN5352.JPG

My friend Jeff Orear snapped this pic of me taxing to HBC.
DSCN5353.JPG

All of my neighbors in HBC. I got there just in time - it filled up really quickly!
DSCN5354.JPG

DSCN5355.JPG

About an hour after I arrived the 34 ship of RV-6's was passing over.
DSCN5356.JPG

My Oshkosh schedule every year is typically booked for every night except for Sunday. The RV-10 folks hold and event, but everyone else is just waiting for Monday morning to get their free SteinAir t-shirt. I decided to put out a feeler on VAF to see if anyone would be interested in participating in a beer tasting. Everyone would simply bring a 6-pack of local beer, and all get to sample what they want from around the country. I originally thought this event would only have about 10-20 people interested. Boy, was I wrong! We had over 50 people register for the event, and I am sure more showed up. It was a great event, and Jerry Fischer was the key to pulling it off along with my great team of volunteers. We had 4 tubs filled with beer, used 250 lbs of ice, and the furthest beer was hand-flown from Germany!
DSCN5357.JPG

It's tough to tell from these pictures if the event was a success?
DSCN5358.JPG

Day 1 (continued)

DSCN5369.JPG

DSCN5370.JPG

DSCN5371.JPG

Charlie Becker even stopped by to suck back a few suds.
DSCN5372.JPG

DSCN5373.JPG

DSCN5374.JPG

DSCN5375.JPG

DSCN5376.JPG

DSCN5377.JPG

The event was such a success, the prestigious Kitplanes magazine covered it!
DSCN5378.JPG

Day 1 (continued)

Many of those who attended the beer tasting probably didn't remember what an awesome sunset we had at Oshkosh on Sunday Night :) I may be one of them!
DSCN5379.JPG

Some newcomers I ran into from KPYM were a little parched after a few hours of beer tasting. I led them to the closest outlet for the caviar of Wisconsin - Deep Friend Cheese Curds at the SOS Brothers. Sunday night was relatively dead at SOS, so I decided to show my new friends how to properly drink a $10 bud light!
DSCN5380.JPG

SOS Brothers has advanced greatly in the past year with investing in technology for two people to simultaneously do a beer bong from the same partitioned container.
DSCN5381.JPG

I'm whooped. 4 hours of sleep and a full day of flying, setting up for the beer tasting and partying late night.

Day 2

Monday morning's weather couldn't of been better. Beautiful blue Wisconsin sky.
DSCN5382.JPG

HBC/HBP was getting really full.
DSCN5383.JPG

I quickly became friends with my RV-10 HBC neighbors Paul and Ken. We got along nearly immediately as soon as Ken and I realized we were both Electrical Engineers and didn't attend rival colleges!
DSCN5384.JPG

Ken and Paul introduced me to "Pirate Coffee". It sure made my head feel better after my evening at SOS Brothers!
DSCN5385.JPG

Off to the show for Day one! GRT introduced their Sport EX EFIS. It fits the same cutout as a Horizon HS EFIS, along eith it is very similar in size to the Dynon D100/120/180 EFIS's. They have an attractive pricing model with Ala-cart options for adding features.
DSCN5386.JPG

I spent a good amount of time with the fine AirCam people. This is going to be my next build....as if you couldn't tell from my AirCam hat!
DSCN5387.JPG

Some skywriting was going on throughout the mid-day.
DSCN5388.JPG

DSCN5389.JPG

DSCN5390.JPG

DSCN5391.JPG

Day 2 (continued)

The Rotac chopper was really cool. You have 7 different ways to burn your right leg!
DSCN5392.JPG

The star of the show, The Martin Mars, flying overhead in the afternoon airshow.
DSCN5393.JPG

During the airshow I took a little siesta under my wing to prep for the Beer Fair Social.
DSCN5395.JPG

Next up today was the 2016 Oshkosh RV Social, more commonly known as the "Beer Fairy". Dan Horton does a great job of coordinating the event, and a number of great vendors pitch in to make this event free for all of us RV'ers.
DSCN5396.JPG

The place was mobbed when we got there! This event keeps on getting more popular each year.
DSCN5397.JPG

DSCN5398.JPG

My friend Jim from Baltimore. Dang it, he stole my beer again!
DSCN5399.JPG

DSCN5400.JPG

Paul Dye was in attendance. He harassed me about writing some more articles for KitPlanes. I suppose I'll cave as it's good 100LL money he exchanges for my stories.
DSCN5401.JPG

The party died down pretty close to the time we ran out of beer. A few of us were a little hungry so we strolled down Waukau Ave towards SOS Brothers for some dinner. Along the way we were treated with another great Oshkosh Sunset.
DSCN5402.JPG

Day 2 (continued)

Tonight was the first night of music at the SOS Brothers. The food at the SOS brothers tent was fabulous tonight - Beef Brisket, Pulled Pork and cheese curds. Simply outstanding. The music was also fantastic. I know some of the curmudgeony campers in HBC wish the loud music didn't exist, but I find it one of my highlights of the trip.
DSCN5403.JPG

Speaking of highlights of the trip, this my my friend Derek's first SOS Brothers beer bong.
DSCN5404.JPG

I think young Derek was quite smitten with our bartender Karina! What a great fun filled first day at Oshkosh!
DSCN5405.JPG

Last edited:
Day 3

So far the weather has been fantastic at Oshkosh. A little on the warm side, but it's better than rain! I realized today that I hadn't shot a proper picture of our camp complex that I shared with Ken and Paul.
DSCN5406.JPG

The RV-6's did another overhead pass today in formation.
DSCN5407.JPG

Dynon released the HDX Skyview. The new HDX has an angled control panel, along with a new screen layout which you can have the engine information along the bottom of the screen. The screens also boast higher resolution, improved anti-reflective properties, wider viewing angles and an improved touch interface.
DSCN5408.JPG

Dynon sure has come a long way since the D10! This is a very nice EFIS.
DSCN5409.JPG

Captain John and I attended a TIG welding class at the Lincoln Pavilion.
DSCN5410.JPG

My friend Rich's son Andrew got to have some one on one time with Bob Hoover!
DSCN5411.JPG

The food at Oshkosh and SOS does get old after a couple of days. We took advantage of an Uber to take us to Parnell's place where we enjoyed some of their famous broiled chicken.
DSCN5412.JPG

Back to the SOS brothers tent for some evening entertainment. Tonight's band, Sonic Circus, was outstanding.
DSCN5413.JPG

The party started off with the usual suspects of CJ and Derek.
DSCN5414.JPG

It didn't take long for the other RV guys to gravitate towards our table.
DSCN5415.JPG

Day 4

On Wednesday morning Paul Rosales (Rosey) coordinated a group photo of all RV pilots at 8:30am. What a sharp lookin' group!
DSCN5416.JPG

It was nice to finally see the RivetBangers.com photographer, "Painless" working. He's been slacking on his job to earn his media pass!
DSCN5417.JPG

Before the masses arrived today I wanted to tour Aeroshell Square to check out the C-5M Super Galaxy.
DSCN5418.JPG

DSCN5419.JPG

DSCN5420.JPG

The Stemme S1- caught by eye. It's a motorglider, but where is the prop??
DSCN5421.JPG

Pretty slick! The prop automatically collapses...and if I recall correctly, it is a variable pitch propeller to boot! It is powered by a Rotax 914 located behind the cockpit, with a solid driveshaft.
DSCN5422.JPG

The prop practically disappears. This has to be one of the slickest things I saw at Oshkosh this year.
DSCN5423.JPG

In my last 3 years at Oshkosh, the beautiful angles of Heavens Landing always begrudgingly allow me to take a picture with them. I'm sure it's only because I have a Media pass. Recently they partnered with a resort in the Exuma's, hence the mermaid.
DSCN5424.JPG

Next up was a seminar put on by Superior on the proper way to do a compression check. This class was top notch and debunked a lot of myths about what is considered a bad compression test.
DSCN5425.JPG

Day 4 (continued)

The presentation went into what to look for on the top of the valves with a borescope.
DSCN5426.JPG

Very interesting facts on how rings work to expand when combustion occurs.
DSCN5427.JPG

DSCN5428.JPG

I'm sure Chad tries to hide when he sees me coming a mile away trying to seek out any freebies. Luckily for Chad, this was just a friendly visit -- I already have an entire wardrobe of Vertical Power attire from previous Oshkosh and Sun 'n Fun encounters!
DSCN5429.JPG

Matt Tisdale's amazing AirCam, N331TT. It won a Kit Champion Oshkosh Homebuilt Award. Matt was a super nice guy...even nicer when I told him I was parked one row over and showed him where my beer stash was. My favorite conversion with Matt involved me asking him if he wanted a beer, and without hesitation, in his South Carolina accent accepting with a smirk and a simple "Well, Heck Yeah!".
DSCN5430.JPG

Wednesday late morning brought a little weather to Oshkosh. It was welcome on my behalf to cool things off - thus far I've been roasting all week.
DSCN5431.JPG

It's a big year for the RV-6!
DSCN5432.JPG

The time had come for the annual Wednesday Night RivetBangers.com prime rib dinner at the Black Otter Supper Club. I don't have any idea how long this event has been going on, but I have been a loyal participant for each of the 5 time's I've been to Oshkosh. All of those without ground transportation eagerly met at 4pm to await the Welcome Wagon to take us over to Camp Scholler. Captain John, Brian, Shantel, and Bruce Hill all look excited for what awaits them!
DSCN5433.JPG

This is my first time using this method of transportation at Oshkosh. I can get used to it after all of the walking I've done all week.
DSCN5434.JPG

The Black Otter Supper Club is no joke. Serious place to get a great slab of beef.
DSCN5435.JPG

Day 4 (continued)

As the president of RivetBangers.com, I was humbled by my loyal photographer to bow and present me with my first beer - a Spotted Cow of course!
DSCN5436.JPG

Great group of people - Brian, Chantel, Bruce and CJ!
DSCN5437.JPG

Why is CJ in every picture??? CJ, Bob, Ken, Steve, Frank and you're truly.
DSCN5438.JPG

The prices can't be beat at the Otter. 32 oz for $29 or 72oz for $38. On a per-ounce basis, the 72oz is a no-brainer!
DSCN5439.JPG

After CJ getting and complaining about how bad the Clam Chowder was (Really...a yankee from Plymouth complaining about Clam Chowder from WI? What did you expect???), the main course was delivered. Ladies and gentleman, the 72oz King Cut!
DSCN5440.JPG

CJ's queen cut looks like a slice of brisket compared to mine!
DSCN5441.JPG

DSCN5442.JPG

Table 1!
DSCN5443.JPG

Table 2!
DSCN5444.JPG

The Steve's also manned up and got some King Cuts. Although, I think they planned better than I did to bring some home.
DSCN5445.JPG

Day 4 (continued)

Eric was wise and got the crab legs.
DSCN5446.JPG

Table 3! I think this is the most people we've had at a RivetBangers Black Otter dinner - 25!
DSCN5447.JPG

Painless documents the anticipation of the first bite of perfectly cooked prime rib.
DSCN5448.JPG

About 45 minutes later, he also documents my defeat by the same piece of meat. It was not meant to be tonight.
DSCN5449.JPG

Even the waitress was disappointing in my lackluster performance. I swear she must of had losing odds on me!
DSCN5450.JPG

I settled nicely into a meat comma and we headed south back toward Oshkosh. The trip home we got to see a good portion of the night air show. A couple of us decide to head back to SOS for a beer or so. Well, after nearly 72 oz of steak, I called it an evening pretty quickly. I was planning on flying out the following day, and wasn't going to be a night-owl tonight. As soon as I left SOS, I was greeted by a very proud owner of a foldable electric scooter. He raised the olive branch of peace in the form of the largest flask I have ever seen.
DSCN5451.JPG

Unfortunately the content of the bedazzled "Big Daddy" flask were not all that tasty!
20160727_233907.jpg

After a quick lesson on how to properly drive the newly acquired electric scooter I performed a series of high speed passes down Waukau Ave. There's a lot more to this story...next time you run into me at a fly in, please ask me for the full story!
DSCN5452.JPG

Day 5

Thursday morning I awoke to some storms passing through the area. My plan was to make it to Flemming field in Minnesota (KSGS), however, the weather from Oshkosh to Flemming wasn't looking so good. MVFR and IFR the direct route. The forecast looked better if I left mid-day to head south near the WI/IL/IA border, then north towards MSP. I had some time to kill in the morning, so I took in the last sights of Oshkosh. I've known Painless forever, but this is the first time I've seen his RV-6. I also attended a seminar on Slick Magnetos put on by Champion which was excellent. The speaker was simply outstanding.
DSCN5453.JPG

I packed up the campsite and took off into the MVFR skies of WI.
DSCN5454.JPG

The deck was pretty low today. I needed to make a few U-turns to maintain VFR. Dare I say I felt like Vlad for a few minutes??
DSCN5455.JPG

As you can see my route is nowhere near direct, but it's the safe way to make it to MSP.
DSCN5456.JPG

This was one of the few sights of clear skies I saw along the route.
DSCN5457.JPG

ADS-B really does paint a realistic picture of the weather and conditions. I couldn't imagine making this trip without onboard weather.
DSCN5458.JPG

I said it before, and I'll say it again...these GRT EFIS's still amaze me!
DSCN5459.JPG

Crossing the Wisconsin River.
DSCN5460.JPG

And shortly afterward, crossing the mighty Mississippi river.
DSCN5461.JPG

DSCN5462.JPG

Day 5 (continued)

I ran into some more light rain along the way.
DSCN5463.JPG

My fuel was getting low, and it had been a tough 2.1 hours fighting MVFR conditions, so I landed at KFKA for some fuel and a little rest.
DSCN5464.JPG

The weather was getting cooler as I neared Minneapolis - 65 degrees at 2300'.
DSCN5465.JPG

Safely on the ground under blue skies at Flemming field! A direct route was just about 1.3 hours, but it took 2.7 to get here while I avoided the muck in the skies.
DSCN5466.JPG

Wipaire had a dominant presence at Flemming Field. This looks like a Grumman Goose under restoration.
DSCN5467.JPG

A 182 getting fitting for floats.
DSCN5468.JPG

Also a Cessna 208 getting her bathing suite.
DSCN5469.JPG

802 Air Tractor's being converted into Fire Boss's.
DSCN5470.JPG

My college friend Josh picked me up and we went out on the town for a few libations, good food and great conversation. It's great to use the RV to connect with friends from around the midwest after Oshkosh!
DSCN5471.JPG

Day 6

I had a fantastic night in St Paul, but it was time to continue my adventure. My hosts Josh (the human) and Cooper (the dog) couldn't of been more cordial!
DSCN5472.JPG

Josh's son Owen was really into airplanes. When I showed up to their house last night, he made sure to show me his airplane bed sheets. I told Josh and his wife it would be no problem for him to come out to the airport and walk around the airplanes on the field, sit in mine, and id he was up to it, I would taxi him around. Well, can you tell who had the best day of their life????? I suggested to Josh and his wife to start saving up for pilot lessons - this kid is a natural!
DSCN5473.JPG

Next up on the long way home was to stop by Des Moines, IA to catch up with my friend Rene from college. Weather looked OK for getting there.
DSCN5474.JPG

Skies near St Paul were clear as could be.
DSCN5475.JPG

I don't mind a little wind on my tail.
DSCN5476.JPG

Just a little south of MSP, near the Iowa state line, the weather started to deteriorate.
DSCN5477.JPG

I kept on heading west to try to dodge the weather, but eventually it wasn't worth pushing on. I stopped at Fort Dodge (KFOD).
DSCN5478.JPG

And what a brilliant decision this was! They had a nice spread of food for Oshkosh comers and goers.
DSCN5479.JPG

After about 90 minutes of waiting, the weather between Fort Dodge and Des Moines (KIKV) went to a reasonable level of MVFR.
DSCN5480.JPG

Tough to see in the distance, but there are a cluster of 2,000' AGL antenna's. It pays to study the VFR charts for these obstacles when making a run in MVFR conditions.
DSCN5481.JPG

Day 6 (continued)

I arrived safely in Ankeny (KIKV) and met up with my friend Rene, his wife and newborn. We went out to a great Southern Comfort Food restaurant that just opened up yesterday - Bubba's.
DSCN5482.JPG

The Italian-American Heritage Festival was going on downtown Des Moines so we headed there for some more food, libations and music.
DSCN5483.JPG

The freshly minted 2016 Queen of the Italian-American festival caught wind of my attendance at the event and just had to have a picture with me. It's hard to believe my Oshkosh Media Pass is coveted this far west!
DSCN5484.JPG

Day 7

I am really fortunate to have so many friends who live in the midwest to visit after Oshkosh. It really makes the trip to Oshkosh special as I get to catch up with a lot of great old friends who I usually don't get to see that often. Today's trip is to 2W5 - Westosha, WI. My friend Kara and her family have a house near Powers Lake and a pontoon boat to boot!
DSCN5485.JPG

Much like EVERY flight this trip, I was met once again with MVFR conditions.
DSCN5486.JPG

I flew between two layers of clouds for the first half of the trip. The lower layer was scattered, so I had a high margin for safety in case I needed to get down. I don't like to be over solid layers.
DSCN5487.JPG

Just before I hit the Mississippi, the lower layer disappeared.
DSCN5488.JPG

Crossing over the Mississippi, I noticed on the east bank what appeared to be a ski resort. Sure enough, it was the Chestnut Mountain Resort. Must be a cool place to ski in the wintertime with the view of the Mississippi in front of you!
DSCN5489.JPG

The skies kept on clearing up the further east I got.
DSCN5490.JPG

Headwinds heading east? I can't catch any weather breaks this trip!
DSCN5491.JPG

I landed at Westosha airport, and just as I was finishing tying down my airplane for the night, my friends showed up - talk about perfect timing. We took a short 10 minute ride to the lake and immediately hopped on the pontoon boat and enjoyed a wonderful day on the lake.
DSCN5492.JPG

The evening brought more fun with great food, beverages and stories. Plus Gracie the dog especially likes it when I visit as she gets extra attention!
DSCN5493.JPG

Day 8

Today was a wonderful day in WI. My good friend Elmer has always asked for a ride in my airplane every time I visit in WI. Well, today's timing worked out for me to give him a great RV ride. We took off from Westosha and headed south down the shoreline of Lake Michigan by Chicago. On the way back I handed him the controls and he did a majority of the flying back to Westosha. I think I made his day - all he talked about all day when we were on the lake was his awesome flight. It's great to have something that when shared, brings so much joy to other people, when I consider it just normal.

I spent a little too much time today on the pontoon boat on the lake, and didn't make it to my airplane until about 5pm CDT. I was torn whether to spend another night in WI and make the trip home in the morning, or try it tonight. The weather looked good for most of tonights trip, my only concern was an overcast layer in PA. PA has very few ground lights in the mountainous area, so I was a little concerned about maintaining VFR. I decided to give it a shot - I gave a friend of mine who lives in Cleveland a heads up he might have an unexpected visitor!

The flight home was easy - fly up to Burlington, WI (KBUU) for some cheap gas, then make a more-or-less straight shot home after coming down Lake MI.
DSCN5494.JPG

The weather today was the best it's been all week. Chicago off my wing.
DSCN5495.JPG

After I started turning east I had an OK tailwind of 8 kts.
DSCN5496.JPG

Indiana and OH had some minor storms I needed to swerve around.
DSCN5497.JPG

The sunset was amazing. The pictures didn't nearly capture how great it was.
DSCN5498.JPG

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - ADS-B radar on my 8 year old GRT screens is just awesome.
DSCN5499.JPG

Near Western PA I picked up a nice tailwind of 16 kts.
DSCN5500.JPG

The GRT fuel computer ended up being spot on. I landed at KDMW with exactly 13 gallons of fuel remaining. Can't beat the economy, speed and luxury of traveling from WI to MD for $100 in fuel! This was without a doubt the best Oshkosh trip yet. Great fun with awesome people at Oshkosh, and getting to visit 3 great friends and families along the way.
DSCN5501.JPG

Great write up Mike. This has to be the longest and most enjoyable trip report I've read yet. And so glad some of those photos don't show me doing anything illegal!

Mike another great write up! Again, for those of us out there banging rivets these visions of what will be, are a great inspiration. From what I can see, we also need to keep an eye out for a decent craft brew to bring. Keep snapping pictures and leading the rest of us toward an RV grin! Appreciate the effort.

Back