What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

End of the line... NOT!!!!

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
And that, as they say, is that.

IMAG0495.jpg

So-called Super AMEs ...

Have you enlisted the services of one of the Super AMEs? I recall there's only about 20 or 30 of them .... they have more sway and more credibility with the FAA in OK City than the other 800 or so AMEs. We're lucky to have a top notch Super AME here in central IL ...he has helped many EAA members around here after they had all but given up hope.

Bob,

I suspect you know way more about this than I ever will, but are you aware of endolymphatic shunt surgery? This was used to successfully treat Ménière’s disease in none other than astronaut Alan Shepard. He was grounded after diagnosis but flew to the moon on Apollo 14 after successful treatment.

Best,
John

Last edited:
+1 on what Rupster said. Call the EAA and the AOPA and talk to their medical folks. This may not necessarily be the end of the line.

Ear Rocks

Bob,Sorry to hear of your predicament,Are you sure the medical community isn't leading you down the garden path for a simple case of BPPV. Have you ever tried a Hall-pike, Epley maneuver? I don't know your history so I'm just spit balling here. Most doctors love to prescribe pill upon pill or what ever it says on there new pen the rep just gave them.Don't give up the fight,you have come too far to stop now!

Bob,Sorry to hear of your predicament,Are you sure the medical community isn't leading you down the garden path for a simple case of BPPV. Have you ever tried a Hall-pike, Epley maneuver? I don't know your history so I'm just spit balling here. Most doctors love to prescribe pill upon pill or what ever it says on there new pen the rep just gave them.Don't give up the fight,you have come too far to stop now!

The Eppley maneuver doesn't work for Meniere's. This isn't a new diagnosis. My docs are very honorable and very good (my latest ENT, bless his heart, tried his darndest) and have not prescribed pills. There are no pills -- and certainly no pills that are not banned substances -- for Meniere's. As I indicated on the blog, the FAA in particular, apparently, doesn't like the Medtronic device I'm now using, which is basically is a $3500 ($1800 out of pocket, btw) aquarium pump.

See, that signals to the FAA that there MIGHT be additional symptoms in the future and the fact is, they're right.

If I had a beef it's that the FAA punishes those most who try to get on top of their maladies, but you know, I'm getting too old to get too outraged anymore.

Last edited:
Wow

Some things in life just SUCK. This is one of them. I am very sorry to read of your issues here. Always enjoy your writings, battles and triumphs. Very sorry that this one is one you can seem to fix or work through. :(

Best, Rick

+1, Bob.

LSA maybe? If yes, just tell me know how I can help.
v/r,
dr

Some things in life just SUCK. This is one of them. I am very sorry to read of your issues here. Always enjoy your writings, battles and triumphs. Very sorry that this one is one you can seem to fix or work through. :(

Best, Rick

Last edited:
Bob, I am sorry to hear this. I know it has to be devastating. However, there does seem to be a door open, as the letter says, to future medical evaluation to the contrary.

As you say, the system punishes those who try to remedy ailments when we may perhaps consider that others might have done noting to address their health issue and just carried on flying without a medical (LSA, glider, ultralights). Most know about the caveat to continued flying of any sort once the dreaded medical denial occurs. Since, as is true, you can fly your airplane today, tomorrow and the next as long as you have a qualified and current pilot to fly with you and assume PIC for legal purposes and act as a safety pilot while you fly, all is not lost. I would imagine that if we can get "waivers" to fly with hearing loss, color blindness, single eye vision, etc with waivers of demonstrated ability then maybe you can continue flying as you are with a safety "PIC" pilot on board and take careful notes on your condition and liaise with an AOPA medical department, etc and see what might lie ahead as far as future medical certification.

Sorry to see this.

Doug,
I believe that once you have had a medical denied you may no longer self-certify for Sport pilot privleges.

Part of this sentiment:

If I had a beef it's that the FAA punishes those most who try to get on top of their maladies, but you know, I'm getting too old to get too outraged anymore.

It does seem at times that criminals get away with things while honest people pay for their honesty. There's a current post concerning a pilot now flying who has not "bothered" the FAA with the fact that he had a heart attack.

I do not want to be an FAA 'policeman'. But I wonder, am I part of the problem Bob is addressing? Maybe, when I know someone is flying illegally, I should call the FISDO, so those like Bob who follow the rules do not feel singled out?

I am so sorry. Not only for the loss of your license, but for your struggle with Meniere's. my wife has been fighting that battle for 10 years.

The scenario now is at some future point to try to get a medical certificate and then let it expire and fly LSA. The denial is a death sentence for LSA until such a time as a medical is issued. This is the gamble that people my age must consider. If I had to do it over again, I guess I should've just let it go.

It's true, too, that I could fly with a safety pilot bit insurance requires someone with 100 hours in an RV (at least to have the same premium); but all my pilot pals have their own RVs and they understandably want to fly them to fly-ins etc. And the way I wanted to use the RV -- cross country to see family, go on vacation with the mrs., go to Cleveland to watch baseball with my son -- isn't practical in this scenario with a two-place airplane.

That leaves the occasional local flight which is pretty much like having a learner's permit. If you can't go anywhere, it's not particularly fulfilling.

Last edited:
Bob, how about a single seat powered parachute in the mean time? No license required.
"If you fly a single seat powered parachute under FAA Part 103 in the United States, there is no requirement for a license.
Part 103 defines powered ultralight vehicles as air vehicles that:
?Weighs less than 254 pounds empty weight, excluding floats and safety devices which are intended for deployment in a potentially catastrophic situation;
?Has a fuel capacity not exceeding 5 U5. gallons;
?Is not capable of more than 55 knots calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight; and
?Has a power-off stall speed which does not exceed 24 knots calibrated airspeed.

With the low speeds that powered parachutes fly, the concern is to get one that weighs less than 254 pounds and carries no more than 5 gallons of fuel."
source: http://www.easyflight.com/faq.html

voyager1.jpg

The scenario now is at some future point to try to get a medical certificate and then let it expire and fly LSA. The denial is a death sentence for LSA until such a time as a medical is issued. This is the gamble that people my age must consider. If I had to do it over again, I guess I should've just let it go.

It's true, too, that I could fly with a safety pilot bit insurance requires someone with 100 hours in an RV (at least to have the same premium); but all my pilot pals have their own RVs and they understandably want to fly them to fly-ins etc. And the way I wanted to use the RV -- cross country -- isn't practical in this scenario with a two-place airplane.

That leaves the occasional local flight which is pretty much like having a learner's permit. If you can't go anywhere, it's not particularly fulfilling.

Last edited:
Ultralight

Bob:

Saw DR's post on the powered parachute. I have been thinking about a powered parachute and also the Legal Eagle that Sam Buchanan built. There is a recorded EAA Webinar that Sam gave on the Legal Eagle Ultralight.

I have a valid 2nd class medical and would not have a problem letting my 16-year old RV parked so that I could be the LEGAL PIC in your aircraft when you want to go on a Cross Country. With more than 2,000 RV hours, I do not think there would be a problem with insurance. The biggest issue will be that I am relocating to near Pittsburgh Pennsylvania so still will be half a country away from you as I am here on the LEFT Coast. I am still looking to what I am going to do with all my free time being retired. So far, I have not found any additional free time.

Sorry to hear Bob but...

Bob, quick question. How do you feel? Are you able to jog couple miles, handle a beer or two and to put up a drywall? You already built a dream. Seriously, if you didn't know of your current medical condition would you feel different?

If you sell your bird you should also fire all your doctors and get back to superb physical shape old fashioned way. Flying trikes requires more strength and stress then RV I saw it :)

Bob

It does not have to be the end of the line but you must compromise to have your cake and eat it too. Find yourself a younger pilot with a love of RV s and make him a great deal on half a share of your airplane with the stipulation that he flies pic with you actually flying so many hrs a year. Then split the gas and everybody wins.

John Morgan:(

Well, again, flying with another pilot is fun, I suppose, but it completely defeats the purpose of building the RV-7A in the first place.

People always refer to the Rv as a "magic carpet," and I guess it is. It can take you places and give you great experience.s

Now imagine being the family member who's left behind -- not only for me but for the family members of the person who'll fly with me -- while I go to those places and have those experiences.

Also, who the heck wants to fly up to New England and spend a week with my mother? :D

You know, it just is what it is. The FAA's job is to keep as many people out of the sky as they can. They got me.

Vlad, I feel like I'm 59, which is to say, my hair's getting thin, the gut's getting larger, and I'm making the same noises getting out of bed in the morning that my dad made.

Bob,

I have pondered a scenario similar to yours quite often as my seventh decade has recently begun. It is difficult to visualize not being able to fly the RV-6 solo to Saturday breakfasts or cross-country at a whim. But somehow, life would go on. :)

I have the Legal Eagle hangared with the RV-6......just in case. The lightweight plane has been a blast to fly for the past three summers and can scratch the itch better than might be imagined. Yes, it isn't a replacement for the RV-6, just another option for beautiful summer and fall evenings.

I hope that after you have recovered from this initial shock that you can find a way to maintain the associations you have established in the aviation world. Contemplating loosing my aviation friendships is much more troubling than the loss of a medical.

Best wishes my friend....we are pulling for you.

Motor Glider

Interesting find on EAA's website http://www.eaa.org/experimenter/articles/2010-11_editorial.asp

A snippet of the article says this...
On the positive side of self-launch experimental glider rules, there?s no ?speed limit? specified, or a minimum stall speed. This allows the builder to choose the highest-performance engine available if he wants maximum climb power. The fact that the plane would now easily exceed the maximum speed numbers of the sport pilot limits is of no concern. Weight isn?t an issue either; there?s no maximum weight. Also, there isn?t a limit on the number of seats, and in-flight adjustable props are permitted as are retractable gear. And unlike a sport pilot, a glider pilot with a self-launch endorsement may fly a motorglider at night (if it?s so equipped) and in any airspace (save Class A) if properly equipped and the proper radio calls are made.

Hmmmm..... perhaps an RV fuselage with a custom-designed wing that's long enough to satisfy the wingspan to weight requirements of a "powered glider"?

Also from EAA's website:
In order for an aircraft to be considered a "powered glider" it must meet the following criteria:

(i) The number of occupants does not exceed two;
(ii) Maximum weight does not exceed 850 kg (1874 pounds); and
(iii) The maximum weight to wing span squared (w/b2) does not exceed 3.0 kg/M2 (0.62 lb./ft.2).

Item (iii) is key, because many aircraft that people would like to consider a "motorglider" won't meet the span loading formula. Again, the formula is the maximum gross weight divided by the wing span squared. Here's an example:

An aircraft with a gross weight of 1250 lbs and a wing span of 36 feet would work out to .96 lb/ft.2 according to the formula, which would not meet the requirement. But an aircraft with the same gross weight but a 46 foot wing span would work out to .59 lb/ft.2, which does meet the requirement.

A 1500 lb gross weight RV with a 50' folding wing would do it ;)

Interesting find on EAA's website http://www.eaa.org/experimenter/articles/2010-11_editorial.asp

A snippet of the article says this...

Hmmmm..... perhaps an RV fuselage with a custom-designed wing that's long enough to satisfy the wingspan to weight requirements of a "powered glider"?

Also from EAA's website:

A 1500 lb gross weight RV with a 50' folding wing would do it ;)

Burt Rutan no longer has a medical due to a heart condition but is working on a design that cleverly slips through the FARs noted above :D

I feel for you; I keep wondering if starting an RV-14 project at my age is prudent as I'm already on a SI medical. Good luck!

This forum has witnessed you overcoming several major obstacles. I know we are all pulling for you to do that just one more time. As others have suggested, I think there are ways. As in flying, "NEVER GIVE UP"

Sorry to here this news Bob. My wife has meniere's disease also and I have an idea of what you are dealing with. What they did to help immensly with my wife was to go in and purposely damage the cocklea for the ear causing the issue, now she doesn't have the dizzy spells anymore. The procedure does involve the loss of hearing in one ear, but in her severe case this was the lesser of the two evils.
My prayers are with you.

Sorry to here this news Bob. My wife has meniere's disease also and I have an idea of what you are dealing with. What they did to help immensly with my wife was to go in and purposely damage the cocklea for the ear causing the issue, now she doesn't have the dizzy spells anymore. The procedure does involve the loss of hearing in one ear, but in her severe case this was the lesser of the two evils.
My prayers are with you.

Yes, that's pretty much the nuclear option here as my ENT noted. The hearing is pretty well shot in that ear although there's still a little bit.

Still, the thought has occurred to me to just tell them to cut the nerves (that send the balance signals to the brain) and be done with it. It's a lot to do if you're not suffering constant symptoms, though, and it seems like a big step just to satisfy the FAA.

And, of course, if the Meniere's should become bilateral and you start losing hearing (and balance information) in the good ear, that's somewhat problematic.

but...yeah.

I hope that after you have recovered from this initial shock that you can find a way to maintain the associations you have established in the aviation world. Contemplating loosing my aviation friendships is much more troubling than the loss of a medical.

That's a problem, I don't like. I lived across the street from the airport. I was there a lot. Now that my plane is gone, I can't get into the airport gate, and I've moved 20 miles away. Seems like I hardly see any of these people anymore. I miss that.

Sorry

I feel for you. I know you have fought this a while and may just need to grieve.

I went through a scare with my medical certificate eligibility. Eventually clarified that it ought to go through if I submitted all the records but it was so stressful worrying about it and such a hassle pulling the paperwork and research together that I may well just not bother and stick with LSA. I think that may be what the FAA intends for older pilots, but am reluctant to attribute too much of the salient quality of "intention" to bureaucracy--being one myself just heightens my distrust of its sometimes bizarre results.

Another consideration with continuing the medical certificate process is that it may interfere with getting the medical attention that is needed in a timely manner. It makes every contact with a physician a threat and interferes with the honesty needed for good medical care.

Being medically fit to fly with reasonable safely and assuring the FAA of that are two entirely different matters. No fault of the FAA but it is the nature of regulation. Regarding the notion of making matters better by reporting fellow pilots whose medical history we are somehow privy to making things better, I can't imagine how. In addition to the adage "Don't poke the bear" there is "Don't feed the bear". Either one can get you eaten yourself. The main thing is "Are you safe to fly this particular flight this particular day." Someone in Oklahoma City can't know the answer to that question, only whether or not your record satisfies their criteria. If you are, there are a few options left but right now you have a pile of ashes in front of you that were your dreams. Sorry.

I motivated a lot of people with these pictures. I can't tell them now it's the end of line :)

Bob,

I have pondered a scenario similar to yours quite often as my seventh decade has recently begun. It is difficult to visualize not being able to fly the RV-6 solo to Saturday breakfasts or cross-country at a whim. But somehow, life would go on. :)

Best wishes my friend....we are pulling for you.

+1 Bob on what Sam stated.

First, we REALLY are all pulling for you. Second, As you remember, my project was neck and neck with yours over the years. We both pulled it out in time to finish and fly about the same time. I'm hoping for (but not believing in) the FAA doing away with a medical exam. I may become a repeat offender, -12, if they don't do something with it soon.

Best of luck Bob and hope to run into you sometime in Venice or Cleveland (there now) and anytime you want an RV-6 ride or someone to go to the Indians game with, don't hesitate to call (in VAF white pages)

Man that sucks Bob! I don't know what to say other than those of us who still have the privelege better enjoy it and not take it for granted.

Bob,
There are some cool ultralights out there and sailplanes are a passion all their own. Don't start playing golf or take up fishing on us!

Don't start playing golf or take up fishing on us!

Played golf for a number of years. Never broke 100. Only play it now for laughs.

Took my kids to a "fish with kids" day in MN when we first moved here. Went to crowded lake area dock and fished with them. Kid caught a fish. I tried to take the hook out and basically pulled its guts out.

Kid starts wailing.

I say "no , look... see ... it'll swim away."

Put the fish back in the lake where it twitched a few times, then slowly drifted past all the other parents and kids, all of whom decided they didn't want to fish with mom and dad anymore.

That was the last time I fished in the land of 10,000 lakes.

Gosh Darn it...

Because I can't say what I really want to. This really stinks Bob. I will tell you this...you have inspired me over the last few years with your perseverance and dedication to the mission of getting your plane done.
I think the third class medical is completely unfair. We'll give any person a license to drive but not to fly. Strangest thing I've ever heard. You have to step up to the plate and get your license back. Don't give up now. Sell the 7, build a 12, in the meantime, work on getting your medical back, then let it lapse and fly LSA. You win.:D Really, only you know whats best. But I wouldn't let this stop you. Get the right people to help you as has been mentioned. Good luck.

Flying a motor-glider does not require a medical.

Amen! Below is a link to a well written EAA article discussing this subject that includes a comparison of the advantages in capabilities of motorgliders over LSA's (there are many), and that also provides several links to information on some very capable kit and/or factory-built aircraft that meet the FAA's definition of motorgliders.

There are a number of appealing options in this category that would let you pursue your original RV mission of efficient cross country flying with your significant other even if you never again qualify for a medical. Keeping dreams alive is SOOOOOO important?hopefully you will find a path to realize this one still!!

http://www.eaa.org/experimenter/articles/2010-11_editorial.asp

Well, again, flying with another pilot is fun, I suppose, but it completely defeats the purpose of building the RV-7A in the first place.

People always refer to the Rv as a "magic carpet," and I guess it is. It can take you places and give you great experience.s

Now imagine being the family member who's left behind -- not only for me but for the family members of the person who'll fly with me -- while I go to those places and have those experiences.

Also, who the heck wants to fly up to New England and spend a week with my mother? :D

You know, it just is what it is. The FAA's job is to keep as many people out of the sky as they can. They got me.

Vlad, I feel like I'm 59, which is to say, my hair's getting thin, the gut's getting larger, and I'm making the same noises getting out of bed in the morning that my dad made.

Bob I think the powered parachute is also a great idea. Sounds like youi might think it is too!

The "magic carpet" is truly magic, I certainly do understand. You mentioned a family member being left behind as a valid reason why flying with another rated pilot was not super attractive. Is there a way that family member might like to get her student pilots certificate, get soloed up and pass a private pilot check ride? She would certainly have the best "co-pilot" money could ever buy in her RV-7A. I bet she's be a good skipper and give you some stick time too. I bet a private pilot course in a C-152 somewhere warm this winter might make for a really unusual (and probably expensive) but memorable snow bird holiday? I hear learning to fly during one long or two short (but long) Arizona get aways might be an attractive option for those from the great white north.

I know this is a little out there but hey out of a few odd ball thoughts, there may be a solution buried in the hay stack.

Positive thoughts

Bob, you have a lot of positive thoughts coming your way from your many friends. Count me among them. I can't imagine a day without reading one of your posts in these forums or on Facebook.

My best wishes to you as you wrestle this bear. You'll still be family. We enjoy your musings too much for you to leave us, so keep in touch with us. Don't hesitate to ask if you think any of us can help.

Chiming in...

Another long time follower who you don't know...

Inspiration, admiration, envy, appreciation, empathy, concern, sadness, laughter, elation... just a few of the feelings you've given with your posts.

I want to turn this around a bit... YOU BUILT A ******* PLANE, AND YOU FLEW IT!!! You have no apologies to make. You lived the dream, man!

Lots of good ideas here to stay in aviation. I hope you do, and that would be awesome! But you know what... there is life out there in so many ways! Just make sure you live it, whatever it is you take as a passion.

Doug,
I believe that once you have had a medical denied you may no longer self-certify for Sport pilot privleges.

Part of this sentiment:

It does seem at times that criminals get away with things while honest people pay for their honesty. /QUOTE]

I find this comment EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE, to put it VERY mildly.

Is the writer suggesting that those of us exercising the privileges of Sport Pilot are criminals? Dodging the consequences of "honest people" who go to the AME?

We all have this challenge facing us. I have a lot of pilot friends in their 80s, some in their 90s - one reached 100 and was still active - owning two airplanes. But most got the word from their AME's, or the dreaded letter from the FAA. Fact is, we're all - if we stay in this business long enough - are gonna get "that letter." The clock ticks - Tempus Fugit.

I've been flying for 49 years - J-3s to Big Iron. If I had my druthers, I'd probably go for a bigger, faster airplane. Heck - if I win the Lottery, I'd go for a Cessna Citation. But - I don't. Have my druthers, that is.

Knowing there was a "Letter" in my future some day, I elected not to play Russian Roulette and raise my anxiety level and blood pressure dreading that trip to the AME. So, I went Light Sport.

Thank Goodness that option is now available to us. I built and am flying an RV-12. And loving it. It's a fine airplane, and I use it for a lot of cross-country flying. It's way better than a powered parachute.

But - as we all know - you have to take that road BEFORE, and not AFTER, the inevitable bad news arrives at our doorstep. I have a lot of RV-12 friends, and they have all arrived at, and taken that path. We believe we are safe pilots.

We are not dodging or gaming the system. And WE ARE NOT CRIMINALS.....

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

You misunderstood the point he was making. I didn't take his post as saying older pilots who fly LSA are criminals. If you'll read the thread about the pilot who knows another pilot who has continued to fly after a heart attack, I think you'll have a different viewpoint.

Take your time

Bob,

There are many here, including me, that have not met you. Regardless, know that we are wishing the very best for you. It was a long road getting to where you are now, don't make any quick decisions. Think it over and take your time. There isn't any hurry.

Bob B, I am sorry you misunderstood my post. It was a bit confusing because my comment to Doug, about LSA eligibilty, ended up four posts later because of submissions while I was typing. But I have to wonder if you read it all. Don H understood my intent. The OP could have hid his condition and continued to fly his RV-7, illegally, as others have (I gave an example of this behavior and called it criminal, which it is); and thus feels punished for his honesty. There is nothing illegal or criminal in flying without a medical under LSA rules. In point of fact, I hope that, based on LSA and glider statistics, the FAA will some day find the courage to stand up to the AMA and do away with all non commercial medicals.

Bob -

I followed your build for a number of years, rooting for you during each of the many setbacks you endured. I couldn't have been happier for you on the day of your first flight and the news of your grounding was like a punch in the gut.

You are, to put it succinctly, living my nightmare.

I know that there is only minimal equivalence in moving to something like a powered parachute, those being incapable of the long distance trips you had envisioned. "Flying is flying" is warm beer and cold comfort - the appeal of an RV is so much more than just flying. There is a huge social factor to be considered as well. And having to sell the airplane that you devoted so much to in terms of cost and time has got to be excruciating.

I join in those who feel terribly about this.

I'm hesitant to dilute the above message of empathy, but I have a quibble with this statement which strikes me as somewhat unfair:

The FAA's job is to keep as many people out of the sky as they can.
I couldn't disagree more. I know it must feel that way to you right now and I can completely understand your frustration, but the FAA's concern is not for your personal health and well-being, it is for those who may fly with you or those on the ground that could be hurt if your abilities failed in flight. At least that has been my experience, anyway.

I hope that you can eventually find a way to work within the system and get re-approved just long enough to go LSA. An RV-12 is as close to your RV-7 as you can get and I think you would enjoy the build. It doesn't travel as fast as a 7, but it can travel.

I couldn't disagree more. I know it must feel that way to you right now and I can completely understand your frustration, but the FAA's concern is not for your personal health and well-being, it is for those who may fly with you or those on the ground that could be hurt if your abilities failed in flight. At least that has been my experience, anyway.

I don't mean to question the integrity of the FAA; clearly theirs is a noble effort to protect other people.

When the FAA denies a medical. They cite a (b) and also a (c) in FAR 67.113, 67.213, and 67.313.

I would submit that item #2 under the (c) heading allows for much too broad an interpretation:

(2) May reasonably be expected, for the maximum duration of the airman medical certificate applied for or held, to make the person unable to perform those duties or exercise those privileges.

Because I had Meniere's Disease? Well, OK, but I had Meniere's Disease several years ago when the FAA investigated it and gave me the certificate anyway with the provision that if the symptoms reoccur, I don't fly. I think that's fair and, hence, that's what I did.

It was entirely predictable several years ago that those symptoms would reoccur because that's how Meniere's Disease works. There are various treatments, but there is no cure.

So I don't quite understand what's changed. Well, except for the fact there's another person in charge in OKC now and two guys have different definitions of what's "reasonable," and in our current world, we want to eliminate as many "possibilities" as possible by forcing people to the ground. I get that. And they clearly have the right and reason to apply it.

Last edited:
Looks like you've slept on it and are ready to make an argument! I like that!:)

I don't mean to question the integrity of the FAA; clearly theirs is a noble effort to protect other people.

When the FAA denies a medical. They cite a (b) and also a (c) in FAR 67.113, 67.213, and 67.313.

I would submit that item #2 under the (c) heading allows for much too broad an interpretation:

(2) May reasonably be expected, for the maximum duration of the airman medical certificate applied for or held, to make the person unable to perform those duties or exercise those privileges.

Because I had Meniere's Disease? Well, OK, but I had Meniere's Disease several years ago when the FAA investigated it and gave me the certificate anyway with the provision that if the symptoms reoccur, I don't fly. I think that's fair and, hence, that's what I did.

It was entirely predictable several years ago that those symptoms would reoccur because that's how Meniere's Disease works. There are various treatments, but there is no cure.

So I don't quite understand what's changed. Well, except for the fact there's another person in charge in OKC now and two guys have different definitions of what's "reasonable," and in our current world, we want to eliminate as many "possibilities" as possible by forcing people to the ground. I get that. And they clearly have the right and reason to apply it.

Well, I don't think the realities of the situation are any different to me today than they were yesterday. I do have to give a shoutout to Tom Charpentier, the EAA Government Advocacy Specialist, who was kind enough to send me an email offering to help.

At this point, I don't know what the next step is because the FAA is so sly in giving specific reasoning.

I don't want to waste anyone's time but clause (c) still says to me, "don't waste your time."

But Tom, who was cc'ing EAA's med specialist makes some intriguing points:

Bear in mind that a denial letter doesn’t necessarily mean that there will never be a chance of certification with a given condition. It means that given the information you provided at this point in time they determined that you are ineligible. Given the right circumstances you may be eligible for a special issuance, which is essentially a waiver for a condition that may otherwise be disqualifying.

I’m not really familiar with how the FAA handles Meniett devices, but that could well be the problem as you suggest. The fact that your symptoms were most recently manifested in June may also be a problem as that may not be enough time for the FAA to establish that your symptoms have an acceptably low chance of coming back (when you submitted the paperwork in August only 2 months had elapsed).

(add) So I don't want to suggest that I was wrongly removed from the flying population. For now, it just kind of is what it is. They probably made the correct decision.

Last edited:
Last night I got to thinking about this and started to get angry. Not just angry for the OP but for everyone who can fly but has been disqualified by the FAA for some reason.

The FAA proposed regulations, based on data, that a valid drivers license and self-certification is enough to assure the same level of safety (or better) than we have with the current AME medical certification process. The FAA received a record number of public comments and the response was over-whelmingly favorable.

The only valid response by the FAA would be to move the regulations forward. Instead, the FAA said they're not a priority.

I have to ask, not a priority to who? They sure as all get out are a priority to the flying population, or the formerly flying population. They're apparently not a priority to the FAA.

Now I harken back to my school days - from elementary school all the way through undergraduate school. Every lesson I had in American Government included the notion that we are a government of the people. If that's true then the FAA needs to act because the people have spoken.

I think it's time we start a letter writing campaign to our senators and congressmen to light a fire under the FAA to move this process forward. Every letter should be copied to the FAA. I also think the EAA and the AOPA need to turn the heat up too. With a concerted effort, I believe we can make this happen because:

-Its supported by the people
-Its supported by data
-It reduces FAA costs (no more or at least fewer 3rd class medicals)
-and it embodies the American form of government.

There are probably more good reasons but these are what will go in my letter. I don't plan to stop writing and pushing until this new regulation is adopted. I encouraged everyone to write a letter, not just an email, but a letter you mail to your representative. And if you happen to know anyone in congress on a personal level, give them a call.

The FAA can be moved with a big enough lever.

Keep fighting!!!!

Let these people work for you. Since you got a Cert once it will aid in the fight.

DO NOT SELL THE PLANE. Look at this as a temporary set back. You'll succeed.

Back