What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build Sequence?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I have just finished using Sika Flex to bond the tip up canopy and back glass and it is cured. My question is what should come next? The plans say engine mount drilled to firewall is next. However, I do not have fuel pump, break lines, or rudder pedals installed yet. Also most firewall holes are not drilled. Side skins are still clecoed to the firewall. Should all of this be done before the engine mount is drilled to the firewall?

Trying not to get ahead of myself on this.

Thanks,

There is nothing that says the engine mount has to stay attached to the plane after the hole positions are drilled. Take it off for machining access if you wish. If memory serves,there are a couple of rivets that need to be driven in the firewall flange before finish bolting the mount in place.

It depends...

You're at the stage of the build where the order of construction is kind of a gray area. You'll probably be working on a number of things simultaneously.

If I were doing it again, I'd drill all holes and install the fittings, etc on the firewall before installing the mount and definitely before riveting the top fwd fues.

I'd also install the mount before the brake system and fuel vent lines. That makes getting those large bolts in precisely a little easier.

I liked having the engine mount on the airframe to help lift and move it around. Wait until the rest of the systems are installed to put it on gear. It'll be easier to reach stuff and work with it level and closer to the ground.

I'd also install all the hoses, etc. on the engine before I mounted it. Some of them are pretty hard to reach.

But really, you just have to figure it out and make it work as you go. There's no real straightforward solution at this point, unfortunately.

Back