What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vortex Generators

I don't know that I would want too. Just courious if anyone had tried them and what were the results.

Do a search. And check old RVATORs. I read that Van tried them when developing he -12 and got no improvement.

Have VGs

I have VGs. They were installed when I bought the plane. Every pilot asks me what is the result and I don't know, it came that way! Maybe Mr. Orndorf can comment on their effect. Do you have a specific question?

249c9d0604aebdedfe6d61cc20bc8a36_zps8b22c1ac.jpg

3f2ca2d620a3ba1ee42b2b321b806a76_zpsa0da1660.jpg

Carl
N229RV(AT)yahooDOTcom

Last edited:
VG's

I've heard Larry Vetterman was working with someone experimenting with the VG's. I was and could still contaplate putting them on mine......if I ever get close to finishing:( From what I believe if they were installed the best place to put them would be in front of the ailerons.

Especially on the RV-6 or any of these while the wing drops from the stall the VG's would at least give better aileron control for roll effect.

Obviously stop the stall and opposite rudder as needed but the VG's over the aileron area would give faster airflow over that part of the wing to give roll recovery sooner. Or you might have roll control while the inboard part of the wing stalls.

I have not flown an RV with them but the one I have flown did drop off quite fast during the stall.:)

comments encouraged and appreciated:)........as long as you can back up your info;)

They "Ugly-up" the airplane and the wash rag gets hung up on them.:)

Rv's have such benign stall characteristics anyway, so use that money for more avgas.

Best,

I can not speak for the RV-12. The builder of my RV-8 tested VGs. He concluded they did not improve the handling. He removed them after only a few weeks.

There was an article in either Aviation Safety or AOPA within the past 12 months. The author put them on an RV (I dont remember which model) and claimed to get very good results. The article included information on a supplier that sold them in a kit.

There was an article in either Aviation Safety or AOPA within the past 12 months.
The author put them on an RV (I dont remember which model) and
claimed to get very good results. The article included information on a supplier that sold them in a kit.

That's called Marketing.........:rolleyes:

I've heard Larry Vetterman was working with someone experimenting with the VG's. I was and could still contaplate putting them on mine......if I ever get close to finishing:( From what I believe if they were installed the best place to put them would be in front of the ailerons.

Especially on the RV-6 or any of these while the wing drops from the stall the VG's would at least give better aileron control for roll effect.

Obviously stop the stall and opposite rudder as needed but the VG's over the aileron area would give faster airflow over that part of the wing to give roll recovery sooner. Or you might have roll control while the inboard part of the wing stalls.

I have not flown an RV with them but the one I have flown did drop off quite fast during the stall.:)

comments encouraged and appreciated:)........as long as you can back up your info;)

Ailerons don't come into play during a stall. Leave them neutral, and PUSH... PUSH. When the wing is no longer stalled, ailerons will come back into play.
During your next BFR, as you enter a demo stall, and a wing drops, try lifting it with the aileron and see what the instructor does. Do this only with an instructor.

Back