What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CPS oil filter wrench

Jolly

Bryan at CPS got me to try their new oil filter wrench. It's stainless and makes oil filter removal and install a breeze.

The RV-12 exhaust system is purposefully designed to assure enough access clearance to allow using a simple and inexpensive strap type filter wrench similar to this....

oilwrench.jpg

If the filter was installed properly, this type of wrench has no trouble removing it.

Nothing wrong with this other wrench that Roger is informing everyone about.... perfect for those that prescribe to the tool of the month club (I.E., have to always be buying a new design tool because it must be better, right?) :rolleyes:

I bought an assortment of oil filter hex sockets for 3/8? drive at Harbor Freight a few years back. One of them slips right over the end of the filter. Works great.

I found that the same wrench I use for the filter on my Harley works great for the RV-12 also. I use a 3/8 extension and flex handle with it.
download.png

I use the cup type that fit on the end of the filter. Simple, cheap (under $5 at Walmart) and fool proof. Generally, I don't even need to add the 3/8" hex drive to the end. Just slip it on, give it a twist, and off comes the filter. But if it is a little stuck, just use any 3/8" square drive for a bit more leverage........Tom

Yeah, they get pretty tight. Slow steady tension helps, but a 3/8" hex drive helper makes it a piece of cake........Tom

Back