What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steel canopy strut ends

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I decided to change my plastic strut ends to the metal ones that were suggested. The lower end was replaced with ease, but the upper end is a different sized thread. I needed to get the canopy back on, so just left the plastic upper ends. I was so discouraged I even failed to measure the upper end thread size, it is smaller than the lower end.

Hi Don,

Could you pm me the info on the steel ends for the struts? I'm quite interested in putting them on a couple 12s.

It's really the lower ones that are the problem. After they are drilled out to fit the bushing, there is not much material remaining.

I was not aware that there has been an issue with the upper attachment.

I know of no issue with the top one either, but then again when the bottom (weaker) one busts, there is no more stress on the upper. I just wanted to change both of them.
Here is the scoop on the metal ends, cheap they are, like $1.90 each as I recall.

For those who I missed seeing at Oshkosh, if you are interested in replacing your canopy strut ends, here is the supplier, and procedure that may work for you. Note that you will end up with the larger diameter bushing on both the top, and the bottom of the strut ..............Tom

July, 2015
Canopy Mod: Heavy Duty Lift Strut Eyelets
Parts needed:
4 Heavy Duty Metal Eyelets M6 X 1.0 thread
Source: LiftSupportDepot.com SKU H00005W $1.90 each
1 set Canopy Bushings N/S C-00002
Source: Van’s Aircraft
note: If you have the old style lower bushings, and have not made
the mod, order 2 sets.
Procedure:
1. Drill/ream hole to 3/8” and clean away any burs on all 4 eyelets.
2. Remove stock from the shoulder of 2 of Van’s bushing to match the overall length dimension of the old upper bushings.
3. Install new rod ends on both lift struts, and install per plans page 43-02
Questions or comments to: Tom Odehnal [email protected]
2013- RV12, Kit #119. N123M First flight Nov21. It's a keeper!
1998- RV-9 tail kit, built and sold
1989- RV-6 tail kit, built and sold

Last edited:
I decided to change my plastic strut ends to the metal ones that were suggested. The lower end was replaced with ease, but the upper end is a different sized thread. I needed to get the canopy back on, so just left the plastic upper ends. I was so discouraged I even failed to measure the upper end thread size, it is smaller than the lower end.

Hey Don, Sorry about that. I only measured, and tested the bottom, as that is the weak point. Sure wish that you had measured the top. Someone will do that along the way, and we will all know. I am totally shocked that the top is different. Oh well...........Tom

Yeah, it was a jolt to me as well, why in the world would they double the inventory by a different size on the top, who knows.
I realize the bottom is the weakest link by far, very far, but so far we have not had the steel bottom ends on to test the top strength. If someone out there has a failed strut, we would all appreciate it if you would unscrew the end and measure the threads on the strut.

Thanks Don, I updated my original post regarding the rod end replacement. I will do that again after we get a revised fix for the uppers. Let me know if you get a taker who will give up an old strut for us...........Tom

I emailed Bob Bogash, I know he had several busted ones laying around.
Thanks Don, I updated my original post regarding the rod end replacement. I will do that again after we get a revised fix for the uppers. Let me know if you get a taker who will give up an old strut for us...........Tom

Eat your heart out, Plastic People!
5z43dc.jpg
[/IMG]

I have an SLSA so I can't replace the plastic rod ends as much as I would love to do that; I'm on my second set of plastic ones now in 109 TTSN on the airplane. I think the plastic ones are an example of very lousy design.
EBB

ROD Ends

I tried the new metal rod ends today and they seemed to fit very sloppy on the rods till tightened completely down. Did not like that so I checked both ends with a caliper and a thread gage. The stationary rod end is 5.40 mm and the thread size is 1.25. The sliding rod end is 5.50 mm and the thread size is also 1.25. The rod end that connects to the canopy has a bushing, c-1204, and the connecting screw is tightened down. Strut moves freely and I can find no reference to leaving the screw loose. The 1.25 thread must be an oddity as I could find no screws or nuts at any of our local hardware stores. :eek:

Back