What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electronics or Engine Next

Cyclone

I am wrapping up the Finish Kit and would like to know which kit to
tackle next. It appears that either could be accomplished at this point
but curious which would be more efficient.

It can go either way. I think that the avionics package has the greatest chance of getting revised / upgraded over the intervening time so that might best be purchased / go in last. The engine has less of a chance of seeing revisions / upgrades, but sitting there without being able to run doesn't do it any favors. However, I believe that the ROTAX engines are test-run and pickled by the factory so short-term storage / inactivity shouldn't be an issue. Both the engine and avionics packages are relatively easy (and fun!) to install.

My $0.02

Are you building an experimental or a conforming LSA??

If you dont have to use the Vans panel package, consider waiting as the latest "geewhizzbang" gadgets might be something you want to install.

Engine/electronics

I'm building ELSA. In fact my granddaughter thought it curious
when overhearing that description that I would name my airplane
after a princess

Engine next then Avionics.;) Some of the engine install requires the avionics package so depending on your work pace you will have to leave some engine installation incomplete. Avionics are constantly changing and being upgraded. For a rough guide on when new things come out they are usually announced at Sun & Fun in April and OSH in late July .:D

Engine first

Electronics technology changes monthly. My last RV's engine was new in 1961. New slicks, Sliver Hawk FI and new B&C starter and alternator made it nearly new.

If considering Skyview hold until HDX is available.

If you are planning to install Skyview would wait for HDX availability.

I will agree with waiting for HDX Skyview

When I was in a similar situation I was waited for the Skyview conversion from the D-180. It took longer than I hoped but the techs wanted to get it right before release. It was pretty close to just right. Only a few changes after release, but it was worth it to me.

I moved forward with the engine and did avionics last. No issues with this order.

Good luck with your project!

Back