What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Diode on Master Relay, ever gone bad?

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Was wondering if a fuseable link would be a good idea on ground wire to diode of Master relay just in case a battery sulfates and reverses polarity when a charger is placed on the battery. The master relay is fed by 3 AWG and ground wire to Master relay diode is only 16 AWG. Your thoughts, iam just thinking out loud here.

Ron

From batterystuff.com: "The only way for a battery that has a positive charge, to reverse itself, is for the battery to be completely discharged, and then reversed charged."

The odds of that happening are almost zero so I wouldn't worry about it.

The diode is its own fusible link.

What Walt is saying is the diode, should it short, can only conduct so much current before it melts and goes open-circuit. And yes, it can and has happened, however a properly rated diode will typically last several lifetimes.

B&C sells a kit for making fusible links, with fiberglass sleeve to protect the 'fuse', but it's kinda expensive. I bought an assortment of silicone tubing on ebay & use that for the sleeve on small gauge links. There's not enough energy in melting a small gauge link to affect the silicone.

Having said that, I wouldn't worry about the diode shorting. As Walt said, it will self destruct to open right after shorting. The more significant issue is properly dressing your wire runs to avoid chafing.

Back